Monday, December 29, 2008

How God Was Great In 2008


I've been a bit of a slacker when it comes to posting my Gratituesday posts lately. It's not that I haven't been grateful - I've just been a bit lazy in my gratitude. But as soon as I read Laura's plans for this week's Gratituesday, I knew I had to participate.

God has been great to our family this year for sure!

  • January, 2008 - We started our new year at my parents' house. We were grateful that only one of our kids caught the stomach flu from their cousin. We spent time helping a friend start her own business and creating advertising materials and such for her. It felt wonderful to be able to offer our talents to help someone else. Eric's 39th brithday was in January, and we spent the evening with family, thankful for Eric's birthday dinner of choice - corned beef!
  • February, 2008 - Eric and I worked together on a business plan and were grateful to see, on paper, the fantastic growth his business has experienced. We were equally hopeful of the growth to come throughout the year. February was also the month when we reconnected to the internet at home. After 2 1/2 years internet-free, it was an exciting time for us. I posted my first blog post on Feb. 25.
  • March, 2008 - Gracie celebrated her first birthday. My parents made a rare trip out here to visit us in order to celebrate. It was such a treat to watch her interact with them and share her birthday cake with my dad. We felt such gratitude watching Isabelle blossom and form some truly meaningful friendships. She attended her very first sleepover in March. We spent a simple Easter together as a family and reveled in the amazing gift of life God bestowed on us through His son.
  • April, 2008 - We began the preparations to list our house for sale. Interestingly, we had a possible offer on our home before it was officially listed. But God had other plans. We officially listed our home, and placed it all in God's hands. He truly has taught us we are not in control throughout this process. And we have remained faithful that His plan will be revealed in time.
  • May 2008 - Joy, Toni and I began our partnership with the 3 Moms, 3 Kitchens, 31 Days series. I was so grateful for these new found friendships - an attitude which has only continued to grow as the months have gone on. I am blessed by their friendship on a continual basis! My paternal grandmother passed away in May. As sad the occasion was, it led to many feelings of gratitude. I was grateful for my husband's compassion and willingness to make sure I was there for her funeral, for my brother-in-law who really helped out and watched the kids for us while Eric worked, and for the opportunity to reflect on my grandma's life with my family. Eric and I also celebrated our anniversary, reminding me of God's hand in my life by providing me with the incredible man I am honored to call mine!
  • June 2008 - Happy To Be At Home launched! Olivia turned 3 and had a great birthday. We celebrated the day at home and the next day, the kids and I drove to my sister's house to stay for a week. We had a fun week and the kids were so grateful for their cousins. (I'm sure Olivia was also grateful for the opportunity to celebrate her birthday twice!)
  • July 2008 - We realized how truly grateful we were for Eric's work schedule as we spent afternoons outside as a family. We went on daily walks, played in the sprinkler, and just enjoyed the wonderful days of summer together. Alex turned 4 and officially became the #1 "super good big guy" in our house!
  • August 2008 - We were so grateful for the special time Isabelle got to spend by herself with my family. She spent a week being lavished with attention and spoiled with adventures. She returned home just in time to celebrate her 9th birthday. And our gratitude overflowed as we watched Gracie take her first steps. Her development may have been slightly delayed according to all of the charts, but she and God had their own plans!
  • September - December 2008 - There were no monumental occurrences during these months. But it is times like those - the simple, quiet times - that really remind me of all the work God has done in my heart and life, and all the work still to come. Some might say months like these are boring. Not me! I think they are an incredible time of family and love and all the little things that make our life amazing.
A few random things I am thankful for throughout 2008:
  • The incredible friendships I have made through this little thing called the blogosphere. My life may never be the same, and for that, I am eternally grateful.
  • The growth of my children and the intensity of their relationships with their siblings and the dad and I.
  • My husband. He is my rock, my strength, my everything. I don't express my gratefulness for him often enough.
It was a remarkable year. How was your year?

Please stop by Laura's blog for more Gratituesday and Lara's blog for more Talk About Tuesday.

7 comments:

Christina 12:54 AM  

This was encouraging. Haw amazing it is how God heaps blessings on us! I work on not being lazy in expressing my gratefulness too.

Lara 1:16 AM  

That was a great list! It makes me want to make my own. The years go by so fast that I need to take the time to look at all the blessings we have received. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous,  10:52 AM  

Great list. Thanks! Blessing on your 2009.

Michele @ Frugal Granola 12:09 PM  

What a great year! :) You are always such an encouragement.
Blessings to you in 2009!
Michele

Anonymous,  12:58 PM  

glad 2008 went well for you! 2008 was an amazing year! -- i can't wait to see what 2009 has in store : D

Lindsay 1:53 PM  

Thank you for the list, and inspiring mine!

Anonymous,  5:14 PM  

What a great run-down of your year! How neat to look back over each month and see how God worked in your lives!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP