Monday, February 25, 2008

A Long Hiatus

So, I have come back to the bloggerland after a 2 1/2 year hiatus. It feels good to be back. We decided back in 2005 to cancel our Internet in the interest of frugally clearing out all "unessentials" from our budget. We have since decided that, because my husband runs his own business that is growing by leaps and bounds lately, the Internet has become a business necessity. Lucky me!

I learned a lot of things in our 2 1/2 Internet-free years:

  1. I can lose hours of time online without even realizing it. It is incredibly freeing and stress-reducing to "find" 2 or 3 hours in my homemaking day that I didn't really realize were missing in the first place.
  2. I do not need to be online all day, to be connected all the time, in case there is a new post on one of my favorite blogs that I just can't miss. My children are in bed between 7:30 and 8 every night, my husband does not get home until after 9, and if I have been smart in my work throughout the day, I have at least an hour of me time on my hands.
  3. The Internet truly has become an integral part of every day life. I had NO idea what YouTube was. I couldn't check out a website that I'm being told to check out all the time on TV, radio, and in newspapers. I couldn't look up a recipe.
  4. Homeschooling is a whole different concept when the Internet is or is not a part of our day. The resources for both mom and student are limitless online. Without it, mom is required to be MUCH more creative in coming up with good curriculum ideas, fun projects, homeschooling group activities, etc.
  5. The sense of community, virtual fellowship, encouragement, and advice I am able to access online is unparalleled to anything I have in my day to day life. The wealth of godly, Christian women striving to be Proverbs 31 women with blogs, or on my favorite forum board, is such a boost to my spirit. Their writings challenge me to be a better helpmeet to my husband, encourage me to be a successful keeper at home, and support me in my blessed calling as mommy. I hope my family is able to feel the changing in my spirit.

I am so excited at the prospect of blogging again. I have many ideas I cannot wait to share. My desire for this blog is that I may be able to impart at least the tiniest bit of wisdom or encouragement that I have found online. Thus begins my second journey down this simple walk of blogging!

0 comments:

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP