Monday, December 29, 2008

This Stuff Is Amazing!

Oh, how I love this chicken & black bean combo. I've shared the recipe before, but I'll share it again here for convenience sake.



Chicken & Black Bean Taco Filling
  • 2 T. Extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 lb. chicken (boneless or not, whatever you have on hand)
  • 1 t. cumin
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1/4 t. pepper
  • 2 1/2 c. fully cooked black beans
  • 1 bag frozen corn
  • 1 large jars salsa (or 2 regular sized jars)
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 2 t. cumin
  • 1 t. chili powder
  • 1 t. salt
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Season chicken with 1 t. cumin, 1/2 t. salt & 1/4 t. pepper. Add chicken to skillet. Cook for 5-8 minutes, flip, cover skillet and continue cooking until chicken is fully cooked.
2. Remove chicken from skillet. Shred meat and return to pan. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.

*This should make enough for 3 meals, depending on how much you use. It freezes perfectly in a freezer bag and thaws overnight in the refrigerator.
I pulled a bag of this combo out of the freezer on Friday night to make nachos. Unfortunately, I inadvertently bought "Scoops" instead of regular tortilla chips for our nachos. So, I decided since I had a little time, I'd have fun with the chips.

I filled 1 1/2 cookies sheets with the scoops and then added about a tablespoon of filling in each one.

Then I topped each chip with a little bit of cheese and put them in the oven just long enough for the filling to warm up and the cheese to melt.

Aren't they cute?

We really enjoyed this as an appetizer-style dinner. The kids had fun eating their "little bowls." I'm definitely going to make this again. I think they would be perfect for entertaining with a little dollop of sour cream or guacamole on top.

After our nacho feast on Friday night, I still had about 1 1/2 c. of chicken and black bean filling left. So on Sunday I decided to use the leftovers to make a chicken tortilla soup. I've done this before, but I had to switch things up a little this time.

I put the leftover filling in a saucepan and added about 4 1/2 c. chicken stock. I didn't have any tortillas on hand so I decided to add some leftover spaghetti noodles, just to bulk the soup up a bit and make it heartier for the younger kids to eat, since they still have a tough eating thin soup with a spoon.

It turned out delicious!

Last time I posted this recipe I shared a few other ideas on what to do with this mixture. You can read those here.

Visit Blessed With Grace for more Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and Tammy's Recipes for more kitchen tips.

i am blissfully domestic pie
Also, stop by Blissfully Domestic and share your domestic bliss from this week.

20 comments:

Deanna 9:24 PM  

This is definitely going on my menu for our big football party for Friday!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace 10:04 PM  

Great recipe and such a versatile recipe! Happy New Year!

Michelle M. 11:04 PM  

I printed out this recipe the last time you posted it and am finally planning to make it this coming week. Can't wait!!

Unknown 12:13 AM  

These look adorable! Everyone in our house LOVES mexican so I have to try this!

Jane 12:53 AM  

This looks great! I'm going to print it out. Thanks!

GinnyBerry 1:56 AM  

Looks yummy! I'm going to make them soon!

mub 5:07 AM  

Oh yum, I bookmarked this for later! Your little scoop nachos are cute! Won ton wrappers work really well for this purpose too!

Judy 7:21 AM  

I LOVE this recipe. In fact, I made it last night!! : )
Yesterday was my son's birthday and my sister, niece, mother and son's friend were all joining us for dinner. The problem: I didn't want to spend alot of money to feed everyone. Also, I wasn't going to be home all afternoon. What to do.

I then got the idea to make this recipe. YUMMY!!! I served it over rice. It fed all 11 of us. I only had to use 1 package of chicken (about 1 1/2 pounds).

Everyone raved about how delicious it was. No leftovers.

Brenda 9:54 AM  

I like the idea with the little scoop nachos, fun and nutritious

Live.Love.Eat 11:08 AM  

I love Scoops and filling them with goodness. These look awesome!!!!

Happy TMTT and Happy New Year!

Niki Jolene 11:21 AM  

Wow, I will be trying this soon. Yum!

Love the new look, by the way.

:)

cooking like a frugalite 11:58 AM  

Those are adorable and I love the way you stretched it all out so as not to waste. Good job!

Unknown 2:14 PM  

Ever since I saw your last post on this I've been wanting to try it, thanks for the reminder. It sounds like such a great base recipe. I love how creative you are in using it different ways!

Shannon

Anonymous,  2:52 PM  

What a delicious combination! I'm going to consider this one for our annual Super Bowl Sunday party. Thanks! ~Arleen

Abby 3:14 PM  

My husband would LOVE that! I will have to give it a try!

Sarah 5:26 PM  

Anything I can make and freeze is a winner! This sounds great! Thanks~

Michelle 9:10 PM  

I make a chicken filling that is very similar---and I'm glad you stumbled upon the little scoops cups...that's how I always serve nachos to the 3yo...he just loves it!

Shynea @ Penny Pinching Diva 9:30 PM  

This recipe looks absolutely delicious. I am definitely adding this recipe in January's menu rotation. Thank you.

Anonymous,  10:00 AM  

I make something similiar and actually even easier! I use a crockpot and put in Chicken, black beans, corn and salsa all in and let it cook all day. I whisk it to shred the ckn and then throw in a bar of cream cheese at the end. This creates a wonderful cheesy and creamy mixture. We use this for all sorts of things and it also freezes well. We love it!

Bonnie 10:25 PM  

This looks amazing !! It's going on next week's menu. Too bad I did the grocery shopping for this week this morning or it would have been on this week's menu !!!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP