Monday, October 27, 2008

Versatile & Strechy Chicken Taco Filling

One of my favorite things to have on hand in the freezer are meat/sauce/veggie mixes that can be used in many different ways. I often rely on a ground beef/tomato sauce/veggie mix for all of my Italian dishes, as well as chilis and sometimes even tacos. I use a similar mixture for a sloppy joe mix that I use in many different meals. And chicken/gravy/veggies is always a standby for soups, casseroles, pot pies, chicken and dumplings, etc.

My new favorite multi-purpose mixture is a stretchy chicken taco filling. We have been eating this as traditional tacos for a long time. But over the past few months I have been playing around with it more and finding lots of other ways to use it.
It makes delicious quesadillas. This is our favorite way to use any leftovers we have after having it as tacos one night. We all like it so much I think I should use this in regular rotation and not just for leftovers.

I used it as the meat layer in a Mexican tortilla lasagna a few weeks ago. It was such a delicious and filling dinner.

Some other things I've done with it:

  • Served over rice with shredded cheese on top
  • Mexican pizza topping
  • Mexican French bread pizzas (So good!!)
  • With scrambled eggs for breakfast burritos
  • Nacho topping
  • Taco salad
  • Thinned with 1 can tomato sauce and 1 1/2 c. chicken stock, plus some extra spices and tortilla strips for a chicken tortilla soup
Next on the list - Southwestern eggrolls! I was planning on making these this past weekend. However, when I pulled out the wrappers they were moldy. So I improvised and we just had it over rice.

My plan for the Southwestern eggrolls is to heat the filling to a slow boil and let is simmer for a little bit so that it thickens up a little bit. Then, I'll use the filling in egg roll wrappers and fry them. I can tell from the taste of the filling that it will be a very similar taste to the Southwestern eggrolls you find in restaurants. I'll let you know how they turn out once I finally make them.

Chicken & Black Bean Taco Filling
  • 2 T. Extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 lb. chicken (boneless or not, whatever you have on hand)
  • 1 t. cumin
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1/4 t. pepper
  • 2 1/2 c. fully cooked black beans
  • 1 bag frozen corn
  • 1 large jars salsa (or 2 regular sized jars)
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 2 t. cumin
  • 1 t. chili powder
  • 1 t. salt
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Season chicken with 1 t. cumin, 1/2 t. salt & 1/4 t. pepper. Add chicken to skillet. Cook for 5-8 minutes, flip, cover skillet and continue cooking until chicken is fully cooked.
2. Remove chicken from skillet. Shred meat and return to pan. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.

*This should make enough for 3 meals, depending on how much you use. It freezes perfectly in a freezer bag and thaws overnight in the refrigerator.

For more Kitchen Tips, go here; more Tightwad Tuesday, go here, and more Tempt My Tummy Tuesday go here.

12 comments:

Michele @ Frugal Granola 10:00 PM  

This sounds really yummy! :)

I just realized that I forgot to answer you last week- we loved the spaghetti squash "mac" & cheese! The squash "noodles" were very similar to rice noodles. One night, we also added some diced fresh off the vine tomatoes, too.

Blessings,
Michele

Christina 10:11 PM  

Wow! I love your idea of freezing meat/veggie/gravy (or sauce) mixtures for future use. I just might have to mull this idea over, adjust it, and make it mine.

Anonymous,  10:46 PM  

Oh, that looks good! I haven't done Mexican for at least a week...scratch that, we had quesadillas Sunday. Oh well, who needs an excuse?!? That's going on the menu plan. ;-)

Anonymous,  11:00 PM  

Yum! I can't wait to try this out!

Edi 7:51 AM  

Sounds like my kind of recipe! I have a lot of leftover chicken in my freezer right now -- so this will be good to try.

Sonshine 8:33 AM  

yummy!

thanks for stopping by! :)

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet 8:40 AM  

This sounds absolutely scrumptious! :D Thank you for sharing!!

Have a great Tuesday!
Sherry

Live.Love.Eat 9:12 AM  

Hey there. Came over from TMTT.

These are great ideas for this feeling. The pictures are making me hungry!!

Jamey 6:41 PM  

Wow thatks for the Ideas and recipe! I think it looks very good.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace 9:05 PM  

This is great. I am so impressed with you organization and planning. That is great. Thanks for sharing these great ideas and this recipe that can be so versatile.

Michelle M. 10:48 AM  

Wow- that looks incredible. I am going to save this right now and make it very soon. Thanks!

Anonymous,  7:26 PM  

Sounds wonderful!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP