Sunday, April 27, 2008

Menu Plan Monday & Prepping for A Month in My Kitchen


We are at the end of another month and that means I'm getting ready for our big Once-A-Month grocery trip again. I'm also gearing up to blog about the whole month in my kitchen, beginning with the menu planning and list making (as well as everything that I have on hand already) that allows us to stick to our $300 monthly grocery budget. I'm going to post grocery receipts, recipes and pictures, and about the extra meals I cook for the freezer. It should be an interesting month and I'm really looking forward to it. It will keep me accountable to stick to my plans, make sure I stock the freezer the way I really like it (I didn't do as good with this in April as I would have liked), and it will be an easy way to address questions about how we stick to our budget. If anyone else would like to join me in this month-long exercise, please leave a comment and let me know!
Here is my menu plan for this week:
Breakfast
M - Puffed pancake and bananas
T - Baked oatmeal
W - Scrambled eggs and toast
Th - Banana Pancakes
F - Breakfast cookies and yogurt
Su - Leftover cinnamon rolls and/or breakfast cookies
Lunch
M - Grilled cheese, applesauce
T - Tuna pasta salad, pear slices
W - Turkey and cheese sandwiches, apples, yogurt
Th - Mac & cheese, salad, apple slices
F - Egg salad sandwiches, strawberries (or other fresh fruit)
S - Tuna spread, crackers, carrot sticks, yogurt
Su - Split pea & ham soup
Dinner
M - Homemade chicken parm fingers, garlic spaghetti, zucchini, garlic & mushroom saute
T - Swedish meatballs over mashed potatoes, peas and carrots
W - Lasagna (from freezer), Tomato basil bread
Th - Chicken Tetrazzini (double for freezer), peas
F - Shepherd's pie (double for freezer), batter rolls
S - Black bean nachos w/ homemade guacamole
Su - Meatloaf cups (triple for freezer), homemade french fries, skillet corn
For more Menu Plan Monday, please visit Laura's blog at OrgJunkie.

9 comments:

Anonymous,  10:51 PM  

What are meatloaf cups?
I am still thinking about blogging my shopping for the month. We will find out this week if we are moving so if we are not moving I will join you. If we are moving you can read my posts on "how to eat all the stuff in your pantry that you never liked to begin with" and "1001 uses for powdered sugar and stale marshmallows" ;)

Kate 11:41 PM  

Meatloaf cups are just meatloaf made in muffin tins. That way they are easy to freeze and I can just pull out as many as we need.

Anonymous,  11:51 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous,  11:54 PM  

I definitely need help in this area, so I will be checking back! Thanks for sharing.

Laura 8:33 AM  

Awesome! I've been working on some new recipes to freeze and pull out for an easy dinner! I love your meatloaf cup idea!

Anonymous,  9:15 AM  

I love making little meatloaves in muffin tins, it works so well!

Nancy 9:47 AM  

Your week sounds yummy. I'm looking forward to following you on your month long post about groceries and the kitchen.

Nancy 9:48 AM  

Kate, did you ever get my email with the recipes? If not, I'll try to send it again.

vicvic 11:01 PM  

I really need to plan our breakfasts. We do cook like this all the time, and I have two teens who make breakfast twice a week each (which I am so thankful for), but I find some kids complaining that "so-and-so" makes oatmeal too much, or "such-and-such" always makes the baked oatmeal too eggy, etc. If I planned it, I think we'd see less of this.

We love breakfast cookies - but would like to find a better recipe. I'll have to try this one!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP