Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Tag-Team Grocery Shopping


Over the past few months, my husband and I have been experimenting with a new method of grocery shopping.

Since we do the bulk of our grocery shopping once a month, our trips to the grocery store tend to take us an hour and a half, at least. We each push a cart and fill them to the top before proceeding to the checkout. It's always a necessary but arduous process.

Or I should say, it WAS an arduous process. Not anymore. Now we tag-team grocery shop. We've always shopped with a detailed grocery list broken down into departments. One day, we were in a hurry and Eric asked me what he could go get. I rattled off some items and he went and got them. Then we met up and he went off in search of a few more things. We realized this was a genius idea!

When we did our monthly shopping this month, our jaws hit the floor when we realized we were out of the store in 40 minutes. Seriously. We were stocked for the month and on our way in just over half and hour. We were shocked.

This tag team approach definitely works for us. We each take two kids and a portion of the grocery list and get to work. I love it!

I realize grocery shopping with a spouse isn't an option for everyone, but if you think you could make this tag-team approach work for you, it's definitely worth trying out!

Stop by We Are THAT Family for more Works For Me Wednesday.

3 comments:

Angie @ Many Little Blessings 12:19 AM  

I hadn't really thought of taking Eric and the kids along for my monthly shopping trip. That would probably be much better! I can never fit it all in the cart, so it would be really nice to each have a cart and just meet in the middle. I'll definitely have to try that next time!

Thanks for the great tip!

Anonymous,  1:22 PM  

My son and I did this when my dear husband handed me a list last week for our mini vacation. He writes his list different....I do mine according to the order the items are in the isles in the stores. Big B got the items that I forgot in past isles and it worked great. He is old enough to drive so safety wasn't an issue.

Monica

Sue 4:37 PM  

That is amazing Kate! Way to go ;-) What a great team you & your hubby are! What did you do with that extra time? ;-)

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP