Monday, January 05, 2009

Prepping The Fridge And Freezer

This week is when I tackle the monthly grocery shopping. And with that always comes the dreaded task of cleaning out the refrigerator and freezer.

That job was especially daunting this month. I didn't do a very thorough clean out last month with all the holiday busyness. Add to that extra food and goodies from Christmas and New Year's, and it was basically a disaster area.
Unfortunately, I found a lot of forgotten-about leftovers tucked away behind fudge and other goodies. A disorganized refrigerator is definitely not a frugal refrigerator!

It feels so good to have it done. Now I get to look forward to re-filling it with new groceries and hoping that I'm able to keep it organized.
As you can see, there is still quite a bit of things in the freezer. That chicken will get boiled right away so that I can make stock and shred the meat for other meals. I think once I have that out of there I'll be able to move things around enough so that I can fit plenty of freezer meals in there too. The refrigerator isn't really as full as it looks. That large pan on the top shelf is no longer there since that was our dinner.

Stop by 5MFM for more tackles and The Lazy Organizer for more Talk About Tuesday.

i am blissfully domestic kitchen
And be sure to visit Blissfully Domestic to share domestic bliss. As an added bonus, I'm thrilled that my entry from last week was highlighted over there!

17 comments:

Rachel 12:04 AM  

Isn't it amazing how much room you can get in a fridge after just moving things around? I mean, sure, there's throwing things away, but just organizing even makes a difference. Great tackle!

Amanda 12:14 AM  

I'm impressed that you have so much food left just before your big shopping trip: juice, eggs, milk. I am guilty of running out of food just before we go shopping. That is such a pain! I feel like I have to scramble around to feed the kids breakfast that morning.
I'd love to see a list of your monthly trip. I go weekly to take advantage of the sales but it may be better to go less often. BTW, my husband LOVES your salisbury steak recipe. Thanks!!

Krisi and Adam 4:42 AM  

Great job on your tackle.

creative gal 5:20 AM  

Thanks for sharing! :o)

Lindy 9:35 AM  

Wow... I need to do that! I feel like my fridge is too small, but it just needs to be cleaned out. Thanks for inspiring me.

Maddy 9:45 AM  

Well done you! We just bought a new fridge freezer as the old one died. I'm having a heck of a time reorganizing my mind how to use it's new style. Dare say I'll get there in the end.
Cheers

Melissa 10:13 AM  

What a great tackle! I need to clean mine out, I found relish yesterday that expired a long time ago!

Aisling 10:36 AM  

I have a chest freezer and it's so hard to keep organised. Things just disappear into the bottom of it never to be seen again!

Anonymous,  11:16 AM  

Awesome job - I love how a clean and half-empty fridge feels. Our fridge is doing OK, but our freezer is a giant mess.

Anonymous,  12:59 PM  

I need to clean out our fridge too but since I'm dieting I'm trying to avoid the kitchen as much as possible so this might be a task for my husband to do.

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting 1:25 PM  

You must teach me, oh wise one, how to shop for a month. I need to know!

BTW, I've awarded you, bloggy friend :)

http://www.crazyadventuresinparenting.com/2009/01/award-time.html

Nancy 2:40 PM  

I did a fridge clean out on Friday followed by grocery shopping on Saturday. Such a good feeling. However, now my pantry needs cleaning/organizing. Suffice it to say that I had more than enough help unloading and putting away the groceries. I appreciate the effort but it makes more work in the long run. Not to mention the fact that it's hard to find what I need.

Anonymous,  2:44 PM  

I've had to start cleaning out my fridge once a week or else there just isn't room for everything. One of the advantages of a small fridge, I suppose. Good work getting yours cleared out.

Mrs. Frogster 2:48 PM  

this is next on my list to do today. thanks for the reminder!

Debra 5:18 PM  

Ok....I am now encouraged to clean out the fridge! Great job!

Heidi Boos 6:56 PM  

Smart idea to tackle the fridge BEFORE you go shopping. We just did a big shopping run and came home to a mess of a fridge and it took twice as long to put the groceries away because I had to clean it out and rearrange first. Nice tackle!

Anonymous,  1:37 AM  

I admire you so much for cleaning out your frig & freezer before going shopping. I'm lucky if I clean mine out 2x a year - yeah pretty sad, who knows what lurks in the back.

Thanks for the inspiration and I'll be taking that chore on here soon.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP