Sunday, January 11, 2009

Menu Plan - Week of 1/12

Planning a few meals just for myself worked really well last week. I managed to eat breakfast every morning. As a result, I felt less hungry throughout the day and I had more energy. It also helped at lunch time to keep me from mindlessly eating a meal that would have been too contradictory to my goals of losing weight. That meant I didn't feel guilty eating whatever I prepared for dinner, although a slightly smaller portion than usual. Overall, I'm feeling great.

Now that I have the routine down for myself, I'm going to try not planning individually for myself this week. There will be days when I may eat a different breakfast or lunch, but now that I'm in the habit, I'm not worried about mapping it all out. We'll see how that works. If it doesn't, I'll start doing it again next week.

Breakfast

  • M - Banana muffins, smoothies
  • T - Applesauce bread, hard-boiled eggs
  • W - Multigrain hot cereal w/cranberries & oranges (recipe below)
  • Th - Cheesy scrambled eggs and toast, kiwi
  • F - Mini puffed pancakes w/fresh strawberries
  • S - Banana-nut oatmeal, smoothies
  • Su - Bacon waffles
Lunch
  • M - Tuna salad sandwiches, oranges
  • T - Black bean burgers, carrots & celery
  • W - Pizza grilled cheese, peaches
  • Th - Falafel, cucumber salad
  • F - Apple slices, crackers, peanut butter, cottage cheese
  • S - Quesadillas, grapes
  • Su - Mushroom & barley soup, maple-oat bread
Dinner
  • M - Chicken hash, salad
  • T - Southwest pasta bake
  • W - Meatball stew, biscuits
  • Th - Chickpea, spinach & bacon pasta
  • F - Chicken pot pie
  • S - Homemade taco pizza
  • Su - Cap'n Crunch chicken, sweet potato fries, oven-roasted broccoli
Ya' know, a funny thing happens when you half-heartedly try to weed through the cookbook mess in your baking cabinet. You invariably find a buried cookbook that you had completely forgotten about.

I found Martha Stewart's Favorite Comfort Food. I immediately threw everything back in the cabinet and got lost in the recipes. Everything looks so great! I'm planning to add at least one recipe from the book every week.

Here's the pick for this week:

Multigrain Hot Cereal w/ Cranberries and Oranges
  • 1 c. cranberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 2 oranges, peeled & segmented
  • 2 c. apple juice
  • 1 c. cracked wheat
  • 1/2 c. soy flakes
  • 1/2 c. buckwheat kasha
  • 1/4 c. toasted hazelnuts (I'm skipping these.)
1. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add cranberries and 2 T. water. Cook until cranberries soften and release their juices, about 2 minutes. Stir in orange segments. Remove from heat, and set aside.

2. Bring apple juice and 3 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add cracked wheat, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Add soy flakes, and cook, covered, 5 minutes more. Add kasha and cook, covered, 10 minutes more. Uncover and cook 5 minutes to let excess liquid evaporate. Spoon into individual bowls. Add the hazelnuts, and spoon fruit on top. Serve hot.

Stop by Org Junkie for over 300 more menu plans.

10 comments:

Anonymous,  11:47 PM  

The chickpea, spinach, and bacon pasta sounds AWESOME -- I always have those ingredients on hand, except lately not the spinach, but perhaps it would be good with kale. My mouth is watering already...

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet 11:56 PM  

Great looking menu! I agree, the pasta does sound delish!! :D The cereal sounds wonderful, too.

Glad to hear that your meal planning with your diet has worked well. :D

Doublebanker 12:29 AM  

Definitely tough to stick to a menu plan every day. I know i couldn't do it.

Shynea @ Penny Pinching Diva 1:17 AM  

Your menu sounds really good this week. I saw several recipes on there that my family would love. Namely the bacon waffles. Now all we need is a waffle maker. :)

P.S. I have a bloogy award for you here on my blog.

Anonymous,  4:27 AM  

The pasta is definitely the stand out dish and looks great. Good luck with your goal this week.

I have launched a Free Menu Planner you might like to check out. Have a great week!

Nancy 10:03 AM  

Kate~ I'm going to try the applesauce bread as we're trying to eliminate refined sugar from our diet. Hard to do but well worth the effort. The pasta also looks good and I think I have everything on hand for that. I'll have to put that in on our menu for next week.
I made homemade veggie burgers (w/lentils) last night for dinner. Surprisingly, everyoone liked them. I plan to post the recipe tomorrow.

Melissa 10:19 AM  

Your menu plan looks so good, it's making me hungry reading it:)

Shaina 3:04 PM  

What a great plan! :) So many of those meals sound delicious.

Anonymous,  7:20 PM  

Southwest pasta bake sounds great! Have a great week!

Allie
Learningtobefrugal.com

Michelle 7:23 PM  

The Martha Stewart recipe looks awesome! That might be a weekend breakfast for us! (Somehow I can't picture hubby making that for the boys ;)

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP