Monday, January 12, 2009

A Bittersweet Project

The remains of babyhood-days are getting to be very few around our house. Gracie is growing up faster than I ever thought possible. While part of me wants to hold on to those baby days, the other part is rejoicing in her independence.

Up until a few weeks ago, we still relied on our exersaucer for those times when we needed to know Gracie was safe, like when I had to take a quick shower or when we were putting things in the attic. I even used it occasionally when I was working in the kitchen and Gracie wanted to be with me. She enjoyed playing in her exersaucer and would even ask to be put in it at times. But, Eric and I both knew she was just getting too old for it. Not to mention, we were a little tired of it taking up so much space in the kitchen or hallway outside the bathroom door.

We stopped putting her in it, and she stopped asking to be put in. We were definitely ready to move it up to the attic. However, we just never got around to it. Maybe it was partially me trying to hold on to what the exersaucer stood for. It has been part of our family for the past 4 years. That makes it a little difficult to just pack up.
Along with Gracie's exersaucer independence, we've also been experimenting with mealtime independence. This definitely was not planned on my part. One morning, Gracie got a plate out of the kids' drawer and I put her pancakes on it and handed it to her. She went over to the couch and joined her brother and sisters. It took me about 5 minutes to realize I was washing dishes without her talking to me from the highchair.

I was actually pretty excited about this. Our kitchen is not big to begin with, and that highchair takes up a lot of room. It has to be rolled out of the way to get into the pantry or refrigerator. So, I decided to experiment with Gracie's obvious desire to be like the big kids.
She has now officially graduated to the big kid table.

Today, Eric and I cleaned up both the highchair and exersaucer and folded them up. Then Eric took them up to the attic.

Gracie was a little torn herself. She was ecstatic over being called a big girl, but still made sure she said good-bye to both things.I'm glad to have all of this new-found space in my kitchen.

This project definitely included more than just the cleaning and dissasembling. I had to tackle my desire to hold on to these fleeting baby days. It's still a little sad for me, but I am so excited to see what the next few months hold for this big girl of mine. (And, she is still sleeping in her crib, so I'll enjoy that for a little longer.)

Find more Gratituesday over at Heavenly Homemakers to read what others are thankful for and to share your own thanks.

Head over to 5 Minutes For Mom for more Tackle-It Tuesday and The Lazy Organizer for more Talk About Tuesday.

16 comments:

Omah's Helping Hands 11:33 PM  

Oh yes. Boy did you bring back some memories of days gone by. Now I'm having to do it all over again. With the grand kids I've got a lot of extra stuff in the house. Some days I think, Oh I'll be so glad when I get some space back, then other times, I relish having it around. :) They grow up so fast!

Carrie 11:52 PM  

I was sad too when the exersaucer went. We had twins so I was sad to see both high chairs go, but secretly thrilled to get the space back.

But I have decided that some things we will never miss. This week we officially got rid of diapers. After changing about 16,000 of them in the last 3 years I will never, ever miss diapers!!! And I am very grateful for Pullups - LOL

Lara 12:36 AM  

Your photo of the big kids table is so sweet!

B 7:27 AM  

I'm with Carrie, we had twins and same thing..sad to see things go but happy to have the space back and move onto to more independence..that is a good thing with twins.

I sold everything and then found out I was pregnant with #4..total suprise after 11 years of infertility struggles. So I had to purchase it all over again and once again we have baby swings etc "taking" up space.

Susie 7:33 AM  

That is a bittersweet tackle!

Jen 8:03 AM  

It is bitter sweet when the children "graduate" onto bigger and better things. My "baby" just turned 9! *sigh*

Organized Nutrition 8:45 AM  

AH, oh the good ol' excersaucer... How i miss the days! After 4 kids and some daycare kids, the thing had to finally go to the recycling center!
I am having a hard time letting go of the diapers though.... I know, sounds silly, but that means the baby days are REALLY over in my house.... AM I really the one holding my daughter back from potty training??? UGH!
I am glad you have a BIGGER KITCHEN and HALLWAY NOW! Isn't it great!

Lora @ my blessed life 9:41 AM  

It is hard sometimes to realize that your baby has graduated to the next stage. It happens before you even know it!

Those exersaucer days were great though-ha!

annies home 9:46 AM  

Oh this brought back some memories and yes we do tend to hold onto objects because of the memories they posess and the unwantingness to let go of those times that were so precious to us. So yes while get freed up space we have tell ourselves that we still have the memories and many more to build

Dreamer 10:14 AM  

I love our exersaucer too! I don't know what I'll do when Baby Cakes out grows it. You are very brave.

Andrea 10:46 AM  

Wow, those are big milestones! With my kids, it seemed so suddenly that they gave up those types of things! Well, at least you have plenty more milestones to look forward to. :)

amy@flexibledreams 2:43 PM  

I LOVE the pic of your little one sitting in a rocking chair at the big-kid table. Mine would be so jealous!

Veggiemomof2 3:35 PM  

I would love to have an attic for storage! Way to make use of it!

Toni 4:44 PM  

Oh, I know this feeling all too well. My son is now 9 and I still have a hard time getting rid of certain things. Just reading this post brought me back to the days of "stages." Such a hard feeling to describe - sad and glad all at the same time. You'll get used to the "new" space in no time! :)

~Sandy 8:04 PM  

They just grow up sooooo fast.If only childhood could last twice as long. Thanks for bringing back some of my memories.
Hugs, sandy

earthlingorgeous 6:51 PM  

Awwww yeah kids grow up fast but it's great to see them be independent and reach their milestones :)

I love the big kids table too :) I wish my daughter had brothers and sisters too hahaha!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP