Thursday, October 16, 2008

Recipe Swap - Chickpea, Bacon & Spinach Pasta

I have been meaning to join this recipe swap for quite a while now, but I always forget about it by the time Friday rolls around. Last week, when Amy posted a recipe for it, I finally remembered to write myself a note so that I wouldn't forget. I hope I'll remember every Friday from now on.

Chickpea, Bacon & Spinach Pasta

  • 5 slices bacon, diced
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 t. red pepper flakes
  • 1 t. cumin
  • 1/2 t. black pepper
  • 1 c. dried chickpeas, soaked and fully cooked (or 1 or 2 cans chickpeas, I'm not sure of the equivalent)
  • 1/2 bag frozen chopped spinach (or 4 c. fresh spinach)
  • 2 T. red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 c. chicken stock
  • 1/2 lb. pasta (I used spaghetti because that is what I had on hand, but I think it would be better with rotini or orecchiette.)
1. Crisp bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, do not drain. Add onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, cumin & black pepper. Cook until onions are tender.
2. Add chickpeas and spinach and cook for 5 minutes, until heated through. (At this point, you could stop and have a wonderful side dish.)3. Stir in the red wine vinegar and chicken stock. Bring to a low boil and let simmer until the stock begins to thicken a little. Add spaghetti and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.According to Isabelle, it looked like "some fancy restaurant food." And once she tasted it, she agreed with herself and said, "it also tastes like some fancy restaurant food." Personally, I thought it was really good, and so did everyone else. It has definitely earned a coveted spot on my master menu plan.

Make sure you visit Grocery Cart Challenge for more recipes.

7 comments:

Anonymous,  10:33 PM  

I'm with Isabelle - that does look like fancy restaurant food!

Confession: I've NEVER made anything with chickpeas, and I've used cooked spinach only, well... no more than 5 times in my nearly 10 years of married life. Might have to leave my cooking comfort zone and give this a try!

Anonymous,  1:05 AM  

Thanks for commenting on my blog! If you make the Pirate stew, you might want to double it. I found tonight that it was barely enough to feed my 4 kids and I (they are 2.5, 6, and 7.5 year old twins). And add some more spices too-garlic is great with it. I added some after it was done cooking b/c it just tasted a bit bland. I haven't made it in a long time, otherwise I would have known this, lol! My kids adored it, I hope yours do too!

Elizabeth 10:50 AM  

I LOVE chickpeas!! This looks wonderful. Thanks for posting!

Nancy 12:17 PM  

This looks good! I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

I've got a good soup recipe on my blog today. Give it a peek if you have time.

Enjoy the weekend.

Unknown 3:37 PM  

looks yummy!

Grammy 10:57 AM  

That sound so good. Thanks

Michelle M. 9:31 PM  

That looks delicious! I am definitely going to try it out. Thanks!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP