Tuesday, October 07, 2008

How Do You Keep From Laughing?

I don't mean to do it, but sometimes it just happens. I stand over my children, trying to appear every bit the disciplinarian and correct whatever behavior it is that needs to be corrected. And then I laugh. Because really, what they are doing is funny. Yes it needs to be stopped and corrected, but that doesn't make it any less funny.

For example, Alex has fallen into this habit of trying to get his little sisters to see things his way. He puts his fists on his hips, gets a very serious and upset look on his face, and speaks to them in a voice somewhere between a growl and a yell. This isn't right. I know that he should not talk to his sisters this way, but it's hilarious to watch.

Unfortunately, my reaction has done more harm than good. He is a natural ham and now that he knows this behavior can elicit a laugh from me, it has become that much more fun for him. Instead of this being his last resort move, it has now become his go to.

So I ask you, how do you keep from laughing in the face of situations like these?

5 comments:

Meg 11:01 PM  

One of us tries our best to keep the stern look in place while the other hides face and laughs silently. Then when the first is about to burst, the second tries to control self long enough to get stern face in place.

It's an imperfect system. Sometimes we just have to laugh and then discuss later how it is not appropriate behavior.

Anonymous,  8:05 AM  

I find this so hard myself. My youngest, has the most hilarious expressions, and most of the time when my husband or I are saying "Look at me!" when trying to discipline, he will look everywhere but straight at us, all over the top of his glasses. Can you picture it? So hard to keep a straight face. I find the only way, is to not look directly at him myself. Or keep thinking "You are telling him off, you are telling him off!"

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart 8:34 AM  

I could have copied and pasted that post. I am so bad about that too. When I have to discipline my kids for whatever reason, I have to do it fast then exit the room to go crack up. I can only be stern for about 2 seconds. So my advice is discipline and then run for it!
Blessings to you!
Kim

Jennifer 12:34 PM  

It can be very hard sometimes. Sometimes I just turn around and hide my face for a minute. Claire loves to say "duh!" and it is so funny, but I really don't want her saying it so much, I guess it depends on the circumstances, but as funny as it is, I try not to laugh.

Sonshine 8:14 PM  

It is very hard to not laugh when they are doing those hilarious expressions when disciplining. When you find a solution I would love to hear about it. :)

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP