Monday, October 06, 2008

Tackling The Monthly Grocery Trip

Last Friday we tackled our monthly grocery shopping trip. It takes some prep work to get ready for this, but it sure is nice to know that the majority of our shopping is done for the month. My husband will probably make 3 more quick stops this month for dairy and produce items. But other than that, we are all set.

The first step in the preparation process is to fill out our master menu plan for the month. I never stick to it exactly because new recipes that I just have to try always pop up. So I keep that in mind and try to choose meals with versatile ingredients. After that, I fill in my master grocery list with the correct amounts of things I will need for all of the meals. Then I go through and total up each category based on the sales flyer and the regular shelf prices so that I have a rough estimate of what our total will be.
We always need two carts for the monthly trip, so we go on a day when Eric has time in his schedule. It has turned into a fun family outing, for the most part. (Moods definitely alter the "fun" element on certain occasions.)I always start each trip trying to keep the carts organized to make the unloading easy, but that never lasts long. So the carts end up just randomly stuffed with stuff. And usually, some product ends up with Gracie teeth marks in it. (She's partial to blocks of cheese and banana skins.)
Eric always somehow manages to fit all of the groceries in our car. (Why on earth are mini-van trunks so small?) Once we get home, and after about 12 trips back and forth to the car, I then have to tackle the most dreaded part of this whole process - putting all of that food away.
Fortunately, I have four little helpers who love an organized pantry and overflowing refrigerator as much as I do.

And at the end of the day, I get to enjoy well-stocked shelves, the knowledge that this tackle is over for another month, and this 2 foot long list.
You can find more Homemaker Monday's over at 11th Heaven's Homemaking Haven.

22 comments:

Nancy 10:55 PM  

I did groceries on Sunday for 2 weeks which was only 1 cart full. I was tired of unloading by the time I was done; can't imagine what it must be like to have 2 carts worth! Oh but I do love a full pantry, fridge & freezer. That is a good feeling.

Lora @ my blessed life 11:12 PM  

I must say, that is impressive!:) I'd love to be able to get it all done once a month--grocery shopping isn't my favorite thing to do. Do you plan your meals a month at a time in order to accomplish this?

Linda 2:13 AM  

I do a trolley full when I got out to food shop every two weeks plus a longish drive.

Judy 7:29 AM  

Every month you amaze me! Between the monthly grocery shopping, your budget and all the cooking you do...it's mind blowing!
I use to shop for 2 weeks at a time. During the summer I started going every week. This weekend I tried to go for 2 weeks again (while we bought all our meet for the next 4 weeks). I am hoping this will work out, especially as the weather gets colder.

bluechillies 8:04 AM  

How do you keep track of your recipes? I would love to see your ideals. I currently plan a week at a time and would love to step it up but I am at a loss at what to do about keeping the recipes all in one spot.

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart 8:14 AM  

Great job. There are certain stores that I try to buy monthly for. IT sure does save time in the long run. Great TAckle.
Blessings,
Kim

earthlingorgeous 9:09 AM  

Me too I love a full pantry! Wow two carts full must feel really good hahahaha! I love shopping even for groceries. I do my groceries twice a month. One full cart the challenge is I don't have a car and I don't drive or a driver! But it's all worth the trip specially the look on my daughters eyes when she sees lots of her favorite food stuff! Great tackle!

Frugal Finds 9:22 AM  

That is a lot of groceries!! They would look better in cloth bags!! Come on over and sign up for free ones. I posted them on Saturday. I am also giving away a very cool cloth bag on Thursday!!

Susie 9:32 AM  

Great tackle! I use recipe software to do basically the same thing that you have. We go shopping every week and get bulk items at a warehouse store every couple months. Our is always a family event:-)

A Christian Mom 9:48 AM  

Ahhh... we do the once a month shopping, as well. We'll be going this Saturday. It's a big tackle!

Kristi 9:54 AM  

Now that is an amazing tackle. I use to do that when I did the 30 day gourmet meals, it's like once a month cooking. I've gotten out of the habit. We saved a lot of money that way...I may need to try it again. Thanks for the inspiration. Blessings to you!

Sonshine 11:36 AM  

I love having a full pantry! :)

Great job! :)

Oh and to answer your question about the "frosting" on top of my bread. It actually is melted choc. chips. I reserved 1/2 cup of the bag of chips I used in the bread then when the bread was cooled, I melted and spread them on top. :)

Thanks for stopping by! :)

heidi 11:46 AM  

You are seriously my hero.

Anonymous,  5:42 PM  

You've given me a great idea -- monthly grocery shopping using my at-home delivery service.

B 9:17 PM  

That is amazing!! I am expecting my fourth child and cannot get over what we spend in a week.

I know menu planning saves us money, it's just the motivation to stay on top of it.

Awesome Tackle.

Anonymous,  1:39 PM  

What a brave mama. I used to do two weeks at a time. But I had to do it by myself and with all the littles. So, trying to stear two carts and three little kids is no fun!

Great work!!!

Hesses Madhouse 2:53 PM  

I should really try this since my hubby only gets his paycheck once a month. Way to go!

Rae 7:07 PM  

I tried doing a monthly shopping a few years ago and failed miserably. Thanks for giving me the inspiration to give it another try!!

Shynea @ Penny Pinching Diva 12:10 AM  

I shop on a week-to-week basis, and I am exhausted by that amount of work. I don't see how you do it by shopping on a monthly basis. The organizational skills that you need to do that is beyond my grasp. I looked at your monthly menu plan and your monthly grocery list, and that is something that I could never do. Just making out my weekly menu plan and grocery list sends my head reeling. :)

Jennifer 12:50 AM  

Just reading this makes me tired! I HATE large shopping trips. More so now that I have two little ones. It was much easier with just one. I am soon going to have to hire a baby sitter to stay with them while I shop!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven 11:47 AM  

Wow! You are my hero! I really need to get more organized when it comes to monthly shopping. Thanks for joining Homemaker Mondays and I hope to see you again next week!

Tara 10:17 PM  

Ah! This is how I do it too. I big one a month...it's the only way for me. I make a few little trips during the month but I love getting the big one done!!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP