Thursday, October 23, 2008

Banana Raisin Bread

I had planned on making a yummy, yeasty cinnamon-raisin bread this week. But I had some bananas that were starting to head South pretty quickly just staring at me from their perch on the counter. Sure, I could have put them in the freezer but I wanted to use them. Any baked good with bananas was really sounding good to me. So, I did a quick google search and found a banana raisin bread recipe on the Sun-Maid Raisin site.

It looked great, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I made the mandatory changes - I really cannot make a recipe exactly as it states, I always have to mix up a few things here or there to give it my own flavor and cater to my family's specific tastes. I know I'm not alone in this, right?

Banana Raisin Bread

  • 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup (2 medium) mashed ripe bananas
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup raisins
1. Cream the butter and sugar together for 5 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla, mix well. Add bananas and milk, mix well.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Slowly stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture. Stir in the raisins.
3. Bake in a greased loaf pan at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes.

I really liked the texture of this bread. It is dense and holds up well to toasting. It also makes some mean French toast. I'm definitely going to do a double batch next time. I might even try going to all whole wheat flour.

Head over to Grocery Cart Challenge for the recipe swap.

5 comments:

Chrissie a.k.a. HoneyB 1:05 AM  

That is to funny I'm making a banana cake tomorrow. That I'm gonna share in Kitchen Chatter. I have bananas headed that way too.
Take care, Chrissie

Anonymous,  10:21 AM  

Oh, french toast with that bread sounds wonderful! I've only made it with plain french bread.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet 10:49 AM  

This sounds amazing! I always have bananas that need to be used up or thrown in the freezer. I'll have to try this one. :D

Tara @ Feels Like Home 5:30 PM  

I love banana bread. Actually, I love all things banana, so I'll be trying this recipe. :) Thanks!

Susie 9:10 PM  

That looks really yummy:-)

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP