Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Disconnect Between Procrastination & Common Sense


I am a champion procrastinator. Why do today what I can put off until tomorrow? But at least I admit I have this problem, and I am always looking for solutions that will help me kick the procrastination habit for good.

Yet I like to think that I possess common sense and that I even know how to use it from time to time. It hit me the other day that procrastination and common sense just cannot go hand-in-hand.

A big procrastination trouble-spot for me is putting away Eric's and my folded laundry. It tends to sit on our dresser for a few days. Meanwhile, I keep adding more clothes to the pile. You'd think common sense would tell me that if I procrastinate on this chore, it will take 20 minutes instead of 5. You would think.

I use common sense when it comes to the kids cleaning up though, and I am teaching it to them. We have at least 2, usually 3, pick-up times everyday. They understand we do it this way because a little mess is easier to handle than a big mess. They understand this because I explain it to them. But I certainly don't model that same behavior. Isn't that just a little hypocritical on my part?

Maybe now that I've realized this disconnect I will be able to figure out how to fix it. I really would like to be known more for my common sense than for my procrastination. I get it - procrastinating really doesn't make sense.

Anyone else struggle with procrastination? If so, do you have any common sense tips you use to overcome it?

11 comments:

Jennifer 9:23 PM  

I procrastinate big time. Right now when my baby cries and will follow me around the house, to me it is so much easier to sit and play with him than go do the dishes with him crying, screaming, or pulling the dishes out of the dishwaser! I don't have any tips though. Sorry.

Tammie 9:42 PM  

hmm. i didn't realize that procrastination was my problem. i thought i just had alternative priorities. :D

Lora @ my blessed life 1:23 AM  

Oh, I do struggle with this one, too! I always seem to have dirty dishes and laundry to put away. And I can't even discuss the ironing--that's really a problem. I think the answer is just to not put it off, do it immediately and all of that stuff. But then when would I blog?!? lol!

Gayle 3:40 AM  

Out of procrastination comes brillant work!

Anyhow, that's my philosphy and I'm sticking to it. One time, in college, I had to make a big book of 200 lessons plans in various areas of study. It had to have all kinds of research and creativity. We had a very, very long time to do it...like maybe all quarter or something. Less than a week. I wrote, I colored, I researched...blah, blah, blah. 4.0 The big A. Yes, procrastination is a beautiful thing. Or at least that is what I tell myself!

Gayle 3:44 AM  

I just realized when looking over on the side at your family photo when naming our Olivia our first choice was Isabell or Isabo (as in Isabo from Lady Hawke), the second was Grace and then we settled on Olivia. How weird is that?!?

Darla 9:34 AM  

I know what you mean. I can procrastinate with the best of them. I have learned to do things in 2-5 minute spans if it's something I do not enjoy doing.

Anonymous,  10:24 AM  

I'm a terrible procrastinator. The biggest trouble spot in my house is our bedroom. I figure no one goes in there anyway... bad, bad, bad!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet 10:48 AM  

I procrastinate horribly, too with laundry especially. I just started incorporating though as soon as it gets folded to get put away. I've been keeping up with it so far in the past week. I just have to do it for 14 more days and it should be habit. LOL! :D

Niki Jolene 11:41 AM  

Well when you figure out how to avoid it, you let me know! I am awful with procrastinating since I've become a SAHM. Seems I do much better with someone to answer to and a set schedule...

:)

Nicole 4:52 PM  

I struggle with his one in a major way. Right now the only thing that motivates me is the thought of how a messy house can lead to melt downs for Monkette because it is overwhelming for her.

Kristin - The Goat 12:30 AM  

My laundry used to sit in a laundry basket or baskets in the living room. All nicely folded. I fold clothes within seconds of it coming out of the dryer. It was awful that I would let the laundry sit. I wouldn't do it. I just wouldn't. This went on for years.

Then in January of this year I wrote out a list of 101 things to do in 1001 days. One of those things to do was to put away the laundry the day it's folded. I actually had to make it my goal. Once I had it written down, posted on my blog and told my husband I have gotten the laundry put away by the time I go to bed on the very first day. I usually wait until the basket is full, which is a couple of loads, but I do it.

My suggestion - Make it a goal. Write it down. Make it an important thing and you will treat it as such.

I'm proud of you for admitting this :0)
Kristin

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP