Friday, October 24, 2008

The Perfect Pair of Jeans For A Quarter


I have been searching for a great pair of jeans for at least 10 years. I've bought a few substitutes during that time period, but they were always just okay and didn't get worn as often as they could have.

A few weeks ago, Eric and I took the kids to a rummage sale. We got there later then planned and only had 15 minutes before the sale was over to look around. The nice part of that was that the last hour was an "everything must go" sale. Whatever you could fit in a brown paper bag cost $2.00 for the whole bag.

We walked around for a bit to check out the boys selection. When we couldn't find anything in Alex's size, I decided to look through the piles of clothes still on the women's table. I only had about 5 minutes, but I decided to take advantage of the bargain. I basically grabbed anything I liked that was near my size. I ended up with 3 pairs of pants, a skirt and 4 tops. Not bad for $2.00.

I tried everything on when we got home. All of the tops and the skirt fit perfectly. Two of the pairs of pants were a little big, but definitely still wearable. Then I tried on the jeans. I had tossed them in the bag at the last second. I figured if they didn't fit right we could always just use the fabric for crafts.

I was envisioning hot pads and purses as I started pulling them up my legs. When I got them over my hips without having to wiggle, I started to get hopeful. When I zipped and buttoned them, I realized these were the jeans I had been waiting for.

They are comfortable, but not baggy. They don't sit directly on my hips or above my waist. In short, they are the perfect pair of jeans. Not bad for a quarter!

I guess it's a good thing we got to the rummage sale when we did. If I had more time to closely examine all of the clothes, I probably never would have picked these up.

Perfect jeans - just another benefit to frugal living.

Have you had much luck shopping at thrift stores, garage sales and rummage sales? What was your best find?

14 comments:

Anonymous,  11:27 PM  

I'm so jealous! I was feeling good about finding jeans on clearance for about $12 in July... I sometimes have great luck at garage sales and such with the kids stuff, but not so much for me.

Gayle 4:18 AM  

I remember as a kid being the ones who donated to the rummage sale not the ones shopping there. I rarely garage sale, and I have just recently gotten over the smell of Valu Vill.age only because my teens think it is the greatest place on earth because they can get so much so cheap. I love reading your blog and wonder about how you chose to live frugal and I am so frivolous. I couldn't imagine how to even start. I come from a long line of money wasters. Cutting corners for me is buying less lattes so I can sign up for Net.flix. Interesting how we are all on one earth, but live so completely different. I will confess, I am trying to "get into" the thrift store shopping scene. I have no clothes and refuse to pay the prices in the stores. Eventually I might need to wear something other than pajama pants! :) I'll let you know what I find! Congrats on the perfect pair of jeans!

Lady of the Mote 9:18 AM  

isnt just wonderful to find items like that,I find all my fabric at garage and rummage sales,if I had to buy them in a store by yard,I would never be able to sew,
I hope you get many years from the perfect pants,and find many more.

Lora @ my blessed life 9:56 AM  

I can't say that I ever have very good luck looking at clothes for me at yard sales or thrift stores. Now stuff for the kiddos is usually much easier. I sure could go for a great pair of jeans though!

Tammie 10:34 AM  

good for you!

Ashley Wells 11:59 AM  

Something very similar happened to me earlier this summer. We went to a yard sale and all the clothes were $.25.

I basically got everything that could possible fit me. I spent $4.50. I went home and tried everything on and it all fit me perfectly!

It was amazing! God truly provides for us!

-Ashley

Nancy 12:31 PM  

I'm jealous that you found the perfect jean for a quarter! I have the most difficult time finding jeans that fit -- I don't want them to sit too low or too high at the waist, my waist is one size and my hips are another. I search and search. Last time I found a "perfect pair of jeans" it was 3 years ago and cost me $70. In my mind it was well worth it as they are still my favorite pair of jeans and they've seen lots of wear. You're braver than I am. I don't dare by any thing for the bottom half without trying them on.

Elizabeth 1:11 PM  

AWESOME!! I love worn jeans so much, I would cry if I found them for a quarter LOL.

Shynea @ Penny Pinching Diva 11:05 PM  

I love going yardsaling. I have to say that the best thing I found at a yardsale wasn't even found by my but my fiance. It was a like new crib that grows as the baby grows that we bought for $50. It's beautiful.

The Proverbs Wife 6:06 AM  

I try not to shop much because for me it can be addicting. I would love to shop yard sales because I have found some really good deals in the past.

However, even as frugal as I am, I think that the gas that I'd use driving all round town to the yard sales would be very wasteful.

The best thing that I've found at a yard sale has been a food chopper and slicer with multiple attachments. It cost me $3 and lasted about 6 years until the main attachment that I use cracked.

It sure sounds like you were able to find a really great deal on the jeans, plus they look great too.

Lisa Hellier 7:23 PM  

I love thrift stories like this. I find my best bargains not at yard sales usually but at the Goodwill store. Skirts and tops for $2-3. I do have a waffle iron that still works that I picked up for $4 at a yard sale. Hope springs eternal at those things. Enjoy your jeans.

Michelle M. 9:35 PM  

That is incredible! I purchased an incredible find last week: a Betsey Johnson dress for my daughter (retailed in the $100s) for 75 cents!! I am was so excited. I got it at Goodwill and it is in perfect condition. I also found a Ralph Lauren button-up short sleeved shirt for my son for 75 cents along with some other great finds. That was a good trip!

Anonymous,  12:07 PM  

We attend every yard sale we can find in our area. At the peak of summer, we have hit over 50 sales in one weekend. My all time best find was a flat top Whirlpool Stove in excellent condition for $40. We needed a stove desperately at the time and God provided a great deal for us!

Rachel 5:18 PM  

This is so funny because this has happened to me. The best jeans I have owned the last couple years are ones I purchased without even trying them on! I am thinking of two in particular. One was from a garage sale and the other from GoodWill. Ha!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP