Thursday, June 05, 2008

Playing Around in the Kitchen

This morning I really had a craving for some kind of ground beef/mashed potato combination. I did not want to make our standard combo of Shepherd's Pie or even any of its similar variations. I toyed with the idea of making stuffed cabbage since I had all the ingredients, but it was too hot today to spend that much time in the kitchen. So I decided instead to use some of the basic stuffed cabbage ingredients to make an "unstuffed cabbage skillet"that we could eat over mashed potatoes. I was just winging it for the whole thing, but I've found that those are usually some of the meals that turn out the best and that I make again and again.

Growing up in a proudly Polish family, Golabki was a favorite meal of mine, right after homemade pierogis. Maintaining family traditions has been a very important thing to me throughout my parenting journey. I love serving my family meals that I ate as a child. Even though tonight's dinner was a bit of a twist on the original, I felt a familial satisfaction when the children declared this a delicious dinner.

If you're interested in the recipe, I've posted it over at Happy To Be At Home.

2 comments:

Kirstin 12:56 PM  

My dads side of the family is Slavik. I love stuffed cabbage and I love pierogis. Do you have a recipe for pierogis that you could send me. I did a post awhile back (would be under cooking categories) of my girls making stuffed cabbage. Yum, that sounds so good, think it'll go on the menu for next week.

Niki Jolene 12:46 AM  

I've gotta admit that looks a little odd but I bet it was yummy!

I love comfort foods like that. I never ever bother to make stuffed cabbage ever since I found a recipe for unstuffed cabbage casserole. Lazy, yes! Yummy, oh yeah!

:)

I'll have to give yours a whirl sometime.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP