Thursday, June 05, 2008

Frugal Friday: A Frugal Pillow Keepsake

For this week's Frugal Friday, I'd like to share a tip that I've been hesitant to post. You see, I do not know how to sew. At least not yet! But, I do like to practice what little I do know on occasion. So please keep that in mind as read this post. If you are skilled at sewing, try to hold back your laughter. If you are not, I guarantee you could make these pillows, and that they would turn out at least as good as mine did.



I have always loved the idea of turning a special t-shirt into a pillow. In fact, I did that for my oldest when she was 5. While I was working on that project, I also wanted to make one for Alex, who was about 9 months old at the time. He had a few t-shirts that I thought could work. However, I wanted to make him one that would be memorable for all of us. Something my husband and I could like back at and remember him exactly as he was at that age. And what says BABY better than a onesie? I have since made one for Olivia also, and there is a onesie of Gracie's that has been sitting in my craft basket for 10 months already. (I'll get to that one by the time she is old enough to use it I'm sure.)



For the onesie pillows, I simply snapped shut the bottom, turned inside out, and sewed up the leg hole seams. Then I sewed the arms shut and turned it right side out. I stuffed pillow stuffing (about $2.50 for a bag, and one bag is enough for 2 onesies)into the neck hole, then sewed that up as well.
The kids love these pillows and cuddle with them and sleep on them every night. (You'll have to excuse the bumpiness of Olivia's pillow. It is well loved.) They are easy to keep clean too. I just toss them in the wash with their sheets. And when I see these pillows, I remember just how small babies are, and just how short the onesie stage of life is. I chose onesies that were the favorites of Eric and I when we dressed them, so that makes the memory that much more special.
For more Frugal Friday tips, make sure you stop in at Crystal's blog.


8 comments:

Julie Willis 10:13 AM  

Very cute and snuggly!

Miranda 10:58 AM  

Kate,
I don't think it's the skill that matters, it's the love that went into them. This is very sweet and special! You could even carry on this tradition with your grandkids!

Michele @ Frugal Granola 1:02 PM  

The onesie pillows are adorable! :)
Great job!

Blessings,
Michele :)

Mary Ellen 2:40 PM  

That is just so precious!

Andie 9:45 PM  

These are adorable!!!! I just might have to go through my "garage sale" boxes and see if I have any cute onsies in there to make little pillows!! Thanks for the idea. Also...
I love your new website H2B@H. I just spent a while reading it. Thanks so much for this resource! LOVE IT! While I'm thanking you...thanks for all the advice about DisneyWorld. Our reservations have been made and we are SO excited! If you think of any other tips or hints, please don't hesitate to share them!!! :o)

Blessings-Andie

Candace 11:25 PM  

Those are really cute, Kate. Who wouldn't love one?

Maria 3:24 PM  

How sweet. I can't sew either but I'm going to try and make one my daughter (20 months old) also. Thanks for sharing.

thriftywaysandideas.blogspot.com

Sara 11:52 PM  

Love this idea! Thanks for sharing

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP