Tuesday, May 27, 2008

3 Moms, 3 Kitchens, 31 Days - Day 27

This morning started off with a breakfast that Eric has been requesting for a few days now - Sunshine Toast. Joy has posted all the details and a wonderful tutorial on her blog, so I won't bore you with repeating it. For myself and the younger 3 kids, I made ours the way that Joy did, by flipping it over. I had never tried doing the toast this way before, but it turned out great. Eric and Isabelle like theirs sunny-side-up and extra runny. This picture is from Eric's plate after he was halfway through one piece. (He was the one that reminded me to take a picture! I just love the way our families have gotten involved with 3 Moms, 3 Kitchens, 31 Days too.)

After breakfast, while Isabelle was finishing up her schoolwork for the day and Gracie was napping, Alex and Olivia helped me bake our favorite brownies.
Fudgy Brownies with Chocolate-Espresso Frosting
3/4 c. cocoa
1/2 t. baking soda
2/3 c. butter or margarine, melted and divided
1/2 c. boiling water
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. flour
1/3 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. vanilla
1/4 t. salt
1 c. chocolate chips (optional)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13 x 9 baking pan. Stir together cocoa and baking soda in large bowl; stir in 1/3 c. butter. Add boiling water; stir until mixture thickens.
2. Stir in sugar, eggs and remaining 1/3 c. butter; stir until smooth. Add flours, vanilla and salt; stir until blended. (Optional: stir in chocolate chips.) Pour into prepared pan.
3. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely.
4. Frost brownies (optional)
Frosting:
6 T. butter or margarine, softened
2 2/3 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. cocoa
1/4 c. milk
1 T. espresso powder or instant coffee dissolved in 1 T. hot water
1/2 t. vanilla
Beat butter in medium bowl. Add powdered sugar and cocoa alternately with milk, espresso and vanilla, beating to spreading consistency.
For lunch today we had tuna salad sandwiches and peaches. Dinner was chicken and black bean quesadillas with the chicken and black bean filling from the freezer.
This was the first time I made quesadillas with homemade tortillas. I'm not sure why I haven't tried this sooner as I have been using them for tacos, burritos, and enchiladas for months now. I think I was unsure of what would happen when I fried a homemade tortilla in a bit of butter, like I do when I make quesadillas. But man, I wish I hadn't waited so long! They turned out SO good. I think I can officially say I will not ever have to buy package tortillas again. That makes me very happy indeed.Make sure you stop in at Joy and Toni's blogs also to see how they are finishing up this month-long adventure of ours!

1 comments:

Alisa 1:00 PM  

I can't wait to try the homemade tortillas! We've been baking our own bread for a few weeks now and the kids are thrilled. It's actually fun to be in the kitchen now, cooking from scratch and as a family. Your dinner looks delicious, as do your brownies!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP