Sunday, April 06, 2008

Menu Plan Monday

I did not get as much accomplished this weekend as I had hoped to as far as getting some meals in the freezer. So, that will be part of my goal this week. I'm planning to make double batches of a few dinners, as well as some other things to freeze. This system seems to work so well for us. I have yet to feel the ambition to do Once-A-Month Cooking. I do see the value of having meals in the freezer though, which is why I use this system. It never seems to be overwhelming this way, and I really do make good use out of having the freezer meals. It is such a freeing feeling to have a busy day planned and know that I can just pull out a freezer meal.

Last week I made our favorite Maple-Oat bread. It is so good, and low in fat and sugar. You can find the recipe here. I like to serve ours with homemade honey butter.

Breakfast

M - Leftover crepes & bananas

T- Sunshine toast

W - Pancakes (make 4 batches and freeze) & bananas

Th - Oatmeal and toast

F - Homemade cinnamon rolls

S - Egg & cheese bagel sandwiches

Su - Baked oatmeal

Lunch

M - Tuna salad sandwiches, yogurt, peaches

T - Taco roll-ups, mandarin oranges

W - Pizza grilled cheese, applesauce, carrot sticks

Th - Mac & Cheese, yogurt, grapes

F - Hummus pitas, cucumbers, grapes

S - Cheese quesadillas, pear slices

Su - Split pea & ham soup (from freezer), cheese & crackers

Dinner

M - Cheesy egg noodle casserole (make large pot of veggie spaghetti sauce, freeze 4 batches), green beans (also make 3 batches of zucchini, garlic, mushroom, & onion saute to freeze)

T - Ham & cheesy potato casserole, corn skillet

W - Chicken & black bean tacos (double batch, freeze one) w/ homemade tortillas, pineapple slices

Th - Shepherd's Pie (Double batch, freeze one), batter rolls (double batch, freeze one)

F - Chicken hash (use 4 pounds chicken legs, shred, use some for tonight and save the rest for Sunday) *see recipe below

S - We are having family over for a birthday party. I know I am making a fabulous birthday cake, but I'm not sure what else. My father-in-law wants to buy either pizza or subs for everyone, so I'll probably make some salads and appetizers also.

Su - Chicken pot pie (Make 2, using chicken from Friday, freeze one)

All of the extra freezer food will be eaten by the end of the month, or just into May. This is my favorite trick that has allowed me to keep our food budget under $300/mo. for the 6 of us. Sometimes we get a little tired of things, but that really doesn't happen too often.

*Chicken Hash

2 T. oil + 2 T. butter

5 potatoes, diced

1 onion, thinly diced

1/2 green pepper, finely diced

3 carrots, shredded

2 c. shredded, cooked chicken

salt & pepper

1/4 c. butter or margarine

1/4 c. flour

2 c. chicken stock

pepper & thyme

Heat oil and butter in a large skillet. Add potatoes, onions, and green peppers. Cook for 15 minutes. Add carrots and chicken, season with salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes. (Let everything get a little crispy. It tastes so good that way!) Remove hash to a serving and keep warm. In the same skillet, melt butter or margarine. Add flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add stock and season with pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil and let cook until desired gravy consistency. Pour gravy over hash. (You can add some cheese on top of this if you want. It tastes great either way, so the cheese really isn't necessary.)

Don't forget to check out more Menu Plans over at Organizing Junkie!

10 comments:

Anonymous,  12:44 AM  

Great menu. Looks like a very well balanced week.
Happy MPM!

Anonymous,  1:13 AM  

Chicken and black bean tacos sounds really great! I'm slowly trying to cut our budget down too. We were at 450 per month for a family of 5 and I just cut back to 350 per month. I would love to make it below 300 soon!

Have a blessed week,

Sherry


http://frugaldomesticgoddess.blogspot.com

Anonymous,  8:00 AM  

Wow your food budget is great. We are at $575 for a family of 8. I like the idea of freezer meals too, but don't usually do the once a month cooking. I also double up when I am cooking.
Great menu~

Niki Jolene 9:03 AM  

Great menu..chicken hash sounds yummy!

:)

Erin K. 9:23 AM  

You have inspired me to try and plan a week where I can have meals left over to freeze, which I have not done for quite some time. It is so wonderful to know that I can just pull something out of the freezer - no mess, no fuss.

Have a great week!

Anonymous,  9:25 AM  

Chicken hash looks yummy!

Have a great week!
Amanda

Wifey 9:56 AM  

Great menu! I like to make extras of our favorite meals and freeze them, too. I am wondering what sunshine toast is, though. Have a wonderful week!

Nicole 12:33 PM  

I just posted our first cooking challenge. I hope you join us.

Nancy 2:10 PM  

Good luck with all your "extra" cooking this week. The payoff is always worth it!

I try to keep a tab on our grocery/food buget. Currently we're at about $400/mo. for a family of 4. I know I could do better but I do allow myself to buy a few convenience items. I work full-time as does hubby. I figure this is better than ending up in the drive-thru on those "crazy" days.

Michelle@Life with Three 9:40 PM  

I'm finding so many great bread recipes this week! Thanks for sharing yours -- it sounds delicious. I can't wait to give it a try.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP