Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Best Cake Ever!

I just have to share the recipe that I used to make Gracie's first birthday cake. I made it 2 weeks ago, and have been wanting to post the recipe since then, but am just now getting to it. The cake is thick and heavy, not at all like boxed cake. And the frosting was really good too.

Even though I bake at least one thing on an almost daily basis, I really don't care for baking. I LOVE the end result, but the process I could do without. All the measuring, dirty bowls, etc. just
annoy me, whereas I could chop and dice for hours on end without complaint. So, I was a little hesitant at the thought of making this cake, but it really wasn't bad. It didn't even feel like it took much more time than doing a boxed cake. I cannot wait to make this again! It's so worth the tiny extra effort. I might even try doing a 3-layer cake next time, just so there can be more to enjoy.


Special-Occasion White Cake
from Taste of Home, June/July 2007 issue


3/4 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. almond extract
2 1/2 c. cake flour (I used all-purpose, minus 2 T. per cup)
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 c. cold water
4 egg whites


Frosting:
2 c. shortening
6 c. confectioners' sugar
1 t. almond extract
1 t. vanilla extract
1/4 t. salt
2 -3 T. milk


In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with water. Beat just until combined. In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.


Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.


In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening, confectioners' sugar, extracts, and salt until light and fluffy. Add enough milk to achieve frosting consistency. Frost cake. (I separated about a cup of frosting and stirred in 2 t. of strawberry preserves for the center. It was really good, but if I do it again, I'll add a fresh strawberry sauce instead.)
Can't you just tell from the look on Gracie's face how delicious the frosting was?

1 comments:

Teresa 9:56 AM  

Kate, your daughter is beautiful! I have my baby's birthday coming up in 2 weeks. She'll be 2. Anyways, I might try the cake out for her. Thanks!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP