Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Keeping My Budding Chefs Busy

My girls love to be in the kitchen with me. Well, all of the kids do actually, but with Isabelle and Alex now in school, it's just me and the little girls.

I have always done my best to include our kids in the kitchen and let them help out in any way possible. I think I've had at least one child sitting on the kitchen counter every single day for at least 4 years now. Honestly, it's the best way for them to get right in on the action. We have kitchen stools that get brought in sometimes too.

When I know I will be working on a really involved project that isn't very child friendly, I still let them join me and occupy themselves. I use a simple trick of just some flour and a little bit of water, just enough to form a basic dough.
I let the kids have at it once I get the beginning mixing out of the way. I leave some extra flour out so that they can roll it out and imitate me. It's easier than mixing up a homemade playdough and it's also better than giving them raw dough that I've made, although I've been known to do that on occasion too.
Just because they can't help with what I'm working on at that moment doesn't mean I can't find something for them to do.

Yes, they get messy.

Yes, my floors get messy.

But the smiles on their faces while they create and the fun we have working alongside each other more than makes up for it.

Stop by We Are THAT Family for more Works For Me Wednesday.

4 comments:

Kelly Miller 12:23 AM  

We don't have any flour in the house, but I definitely think you're smart to get the kids involved in a way that keeps them occupied (and out of your hair). I'll have to try it!

Kaye 9:05 AM  

Great way to get the kids interested in cooking without them getting involved in meals that are too complex for their help (without hurting their feelings). Great idea, Mom!

Jenny 11:43 AM  

Aww they look like they have all kinds of fun with you :D

Marie 3:08 PM  

Looks like they are having a lot of fun! My two are always underfoot when I'm in the kitchen, especially when I'm baking :-) I've been teaching the oldest one to read the recipe to me :-)

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP