Monday, October 05, 2009

The Community In My Home

I was all set to write about the huge project Eric and I tackled today as we completed our twice-a-year master bedroom clean-up. But then we had a conversation and I realized I tackled something far more important than simply cleaning my bedroom. It was liberating.

I was telling Eric about all of the countless trips I've been reading about lately. Bloggers being flown all over by companies for some great marketing, networking and informational sessions. And yes, I was a little jealous because some of these trips just sound awesome.


But I also mentioned how I've noticed many of the same bloggers going on lots of these trips lately. I mentioned how I don't think I could do that and spend so much time away from home. Yet, I get it. These women are building some awesome relationships in real life across the blogging community. He looked at me and said, "but don't they know the most important community is in their own homes, with their own families?"

Ah yes, I can always count on Eric to call it like he sees it and remind me of the most important things in life when I start to veer off course, even if only in my mind. He's right, isn't he?

I love being a stay-at-home mom and I would hate to ever give it up. I am now also a work-at-home mom. Notice the key word in both of those phrases is home. I stay-at-home and work-at-home so that I can be at home.

Now, I am not for one second saying that there is anything wrong with going on these trips. In fact, I'm already registering for Blissdom10 in February. And I'll even go as far as to say if an opportunity presented itself for a great company sponsored trip that I could really stand behind and gain some value from, I'd definitely consider it. But I will admit this current trend of bloggers attending countless opportunities on a regular, almost weekly, basis does worry me a little bit.

Am I just jealous? Maybe a tiny bit, but I know Eric's words really hit home for me and made me realize this community under my roof is the one I want to focus on nurturing and being present for.

I love my blogging buddies and the powerful voice of our blogging community. But honestly, I already feel like we spend every day together and I'm so glad that we do. I love the thought of spending some actual face time together a few times a year. But for the rest of the year, my voice will be heard from this blog, on twitter, in email, on the phone and anywhere else across the blogosphere where we interact.

I'm reserving the rest of my face time for my favorite little community of all.

Stop by 5 Minutes For Mom for more Tackle It Tuesday and Heavenly Homemakers for more Gratituesday.

13 comments:

Colored With Memories 11:55 PM  

a poignant reminder. i sometimes think even blogging/blog reading form home takes away from the "community" we are trying to foster here...trips would only heighten that!

i like your thoughts!

Amy Lynne 7:56 AM  

So very true! Your hubby is a wise man!

Unknown 9:30 AM  

i like your point about being at home with our family - the most important community of all! :)

Elizabeth 10:36 AM  

Very good point. I think you've ended my jealousy over all those trips I read about too! :)

Amanda from Faith, Food and Family 10:53 AM  

I love your post! This is very true and inspired me to write my own post on a little branch of this subject!
God bless,
Amanda

Amy @ Finer Things 2:35 PM  

Wow. So well said. Good for you... keeping first things first! I'm stumbling. And tweeting.

JessieLeigh 2:52 PM  

What a wonderful reminder... I can relate to every word you wrote. Thank you!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam 8:36 PM  

Can I just cut/paste this into my own post and call it my own? I'll change your hubby's name. You are spot on, and I've been really struggling with this as well. Such a great reminder. But yes, if one little opportunity comes my way, I'll take it. :) I've had to turn down some speaking opps lately for that same reason...my goal? My family. :)

Monica 12:17 AM  

This is so true. Thanks for keeping things in perspective. Family is the most important community I could ever build in my life and I wouldn't want to neglect that for the sake of blogging or online anything.

Kelly @ Wisdom Begun 9:26 AM  

Kate, girlfriend, I could have written this myself.

I admit. I am always a bit jealous that I am not asked to go to all of these things. It is hard not to want what everyone else has, or gets to do. I have been constantly reminded of late how my mission is my family and nothing else matters, even blogging. There, I said it. :-)

Tell Eric a big thank you from your BlogHer friend! :-)

HisFireFly 9:42 AM  

Tell that man of yours that he is wise indeed!

Great points, well said!

Jen,  10:30 AM  

I guess I will be the first to slightly disagree:) First off, I know this is probably not what you were going for, but it comes off that you are saying that these bloggers are neglecting their families by traveling to these opportunites too much.

How are they any different from a working mom who has to travel for her company? Are you saying that they are not focused enough on the community at home--their own families?

These bloggers get to travel to different conferences and market various products. Some people work outside the home and travel for one company and market one (or a group of) product(s). To me, I think the bloggers have it better b/c mostly they get to work from home and be with their kids more than work outside the home moms.

Some of us are not as blessed as you (and others) to have a husband who supports being a SAHM. Mine doesn't, and that's my bitterness issue that I'm working on... I'm certainly happy that you get to be home with your kids and blog. But, I think that these opportunites can be great for others and help market good products and services that I may want to learn about.

That's just another view on things--my 2 cents:)

Andi 12:15 PM  

Jen, I was going to say the same thing. In todays world where both parents have to work outside the home - like my daughter. Should she be chaistized or looked down on because she has to go on a "business" trip for work? No, not at all. Twenty or forty years ago it would be completley normal for a man to do it, infact my soon to be ex was in the navy and he was gone most of our marriage on a ship, and I couldn't count how many Moms were on that ship saying good-bye to there kids. Rather than be jealous I think we need to see that it's the way it is now. More Mom's have to work and those of us who have been blessed to stay home with our kids need to be looking at it as a blessing. Just my .02

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP