Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Giving Up A Losing Battle

When it comes to laundry, nothing is more annoying than the lone sock (or two or three) at the end of the pile of clean clothes.

I used to fear those lone socks. I used to not know what to do with them and let myself get consumed with finding their missing partners.

Then one day I snapped. I gave up the battle. I tossed all those miscreant socks into bag and tucked it into a corner of my bedroom.

Now when I come across a few loners in my laundry basket, I figure it's just more to add to the bag. Nothing to stress over!

Every so often, I'll feel overly ambitious and dump the bag to see if I can put any new socks together. And wouldn't you know, I usually get at least a half dozen or so matches. Then I just toss the remaining offenders back into the bag and forget about them until the next time I'm bit by the bug of over-ambition.

Letting those loner socks stew in their own misfortune really works for me!

Stop by We Are THAT Family for more Works For Me Wednesday.

9 comments:

Christy 12:00 AM  

I have a basket just like this. Every so often if a lone sock has been around for a long time I either cut it up for a cleaning rag or just pitch it. I think you are winning the battle - you have taken control!

Meghan 1:25 AM  

When I was in high school and used to babysit, the families I would babysit for would make me match the socks after the kids went to bed. Just a thought in case you want to delegate the chore all together.

Anonymous,  8:51 AM  

I have started to use these socks to clean. Dusting is a good way to use them. I usually then just pitch them.

Tracey 9:35 AM  

This is a great idea! I currently have a lone sock sitting on top of my dryer, hoping that its mate whill show up!

Buffie 2:17 PM  

I have an orphan sock bin too. I've found that it really helps me stay sane.

Sue 2:43 PM  

That is a great idea. I imagine with a house full of kids pulling off socks left & right you get missing ones more often. I am usually able to find mine by the end of the loads because they just get mixed up between loads but are found at the end.

Mikki 9:34 PM  

That's what ours become.. rags.

You know this has been going on since they invented dryers... don't know where they go..

UnfinishedMom 9:41 PM  

Yep. I do the same thing. But, my basket sits on the dryer. Don't have a particular reason. That's just where it is.

'Becca 3:44 PM  

I agree, having a designated location for lone socks is the way to go! I line-dry all my laundry in my basement, so I just have one end of one line designated as the sock singles' bar. When I get to the end of hanging a load and I haven't found a match for a sock, I take it over there, and if its mate isn't hanging there then it gets to hang out with the other singles.

When I decide that a sock is lost for good, then its mate (or a sock with a hole in it) is good for cleaning because I can put it over my hand and then just scrub or dust with my fingers, instead of having to hang on to a rag.

A sock is good protection for a glass jar or bottle if you're transporting it and it might bang against something.

Making sock puppets is fun, too!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP