Monday, July 27, 2009

My BlogHer 09 Wrap-Up

Feel free to skip this post if you're tired of reading all the BlogHer recaps. I wouldn't blame you one bit.

My head is still spinning from this past weekend in Chicago at the BlogHer conference. I have some mixed feelings about this weekend.

Overall, I had a wonderful time. I roomed with Toni again and loved every minute we spent together. I met some fantastic people and made some great new friends. And yes, I did leave with a few bags of great swag. (But only my fair share, which I got while still acting like a human being, and that I do not feel the need to make excuses for. And that's all I'm going to say about that!)

The weekend started with me feeling a little starry-eyed while driving Toni and Jessica Smith from the airport to the hotel. I have admired and respected Jessica from afar for quite a while and I had a great time getting to know her a bit in person. She was genuine and kind. She even went as far as offering my shy self an out when I felt trapped in an awkward situation - she'd be just an ear-tug away. And for what it's worth...Jessica really does know! (Oh, and of course I was starry-eyed over riding with The Happy Housewife too.)

I also had the great fortune of becoming friends with Kelly from Wisdom Begun. She and I spent a ton of time together. We found out we have a lot in common (like in a long-lost-twin sort of way), including shyness. We made a great pair I tell you. But there's strength in numbers and together we managed to not hide out in our rooms the entire weekend.

I also spent some time with the wonderful Ohio contingent of bloggers. (Erin from $5 Dinners, Tricia from Once A Month Mom, Marianne from Writer Mommy, and too many others to name.) Oh, and Toni and I had a great late-night chat with Queen Mommy and Lizzy Dear.

All that meeting and talking was by far the highlight of BlogHer for me.

The rest of it was...well...just okay. I thought two of the panels I sat in on were good and I learned some new things, especially Jessica's panel. (See what I mean? When in doubt...Jessica Knows!) But everything else was just a bit too much drama for me.

Will I be going to BlogHer 2010 in New York? Nope. It's just not for me as much as I loved the networking and getting to know fellow bloggers. I am glad I had the experience though and I don't regret going one bit. Honestly, I did have a wonderful time all in all.

4 comments:

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam 10:18 AM  

Oh, I was waiting for the reasons you're not going. NYC? That's tempting for me but I think my feelings would be pretty similar to yours. Would love to have hung out with you guys some more:)

Jenn @ Beautiful Calling 1:22 PM  

Thank you so much for sharing. I read several blogs whose authors went and after reading about it...I'm not sure I am that interested in going next year. I would love to meet many people but I am a rather shy person (until I get to know you that is...) and I am really disappointed that everyone seems to discribe the sessions and workshops as mediocre...

Thanks so much for your honest sharig!!

Kelly @ Wisdom Begun 5:45 PM  

Kate, I was so glad to meet you and get to know you. Glad, too, that I was not the only shy one there. :-)

Great post on the event. I still have yet to write mine.

Oh, and I told my hubby that I finally found someone who drinks more coffee than he does. lol

Organize with Sandy 8:34 PM  

It was great meeting you at Blogher!
I had a great time meeting new people too. I had a few "starry eye" meetings too. Aren't they fun? LOL

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP