Thursday, July 30, 2009

My Barbies

I remember many a summer afternoon spent on the lawn, just me, my barbies and a big pot of water. The pot transformed into a swimming pool and my barbies had a great time swimming.

Fast forward 20 some years. My girls have never been as into barbies as I once was. The box is in our closet, but it gets forgotten about unless I pull it out. And on those occasions when I remember it's there, everyone has fun playing for an hour or two.

That's exactly what happened today. I had a busy day and needed an activity to keep the kids entertained for a while. I remembered that box of Barbies. We dug it out of the closet and they got busy with the playing.

What a Finer Thing it is to see my children playing with my old toys.

Check out some of these Barbies. They're not really mine, although I did play with them. They belonged to my mom and aunts when they were kids. I'm not sure how I was fortunate enough to have them passed on me, but I'm not complaining.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I ruined their value back before I understood what value even was. Those feet? Totally my fault!

Stop by Amy's Finer Things for more Finer Things Friday and Hooked On Houses for more Hooked On...

9 comments:

Mikki 10:51 PM  

LOL!!! My mom still has a lot of my Barbies from when I was growing up too. When my girls were little, they LOVED playing with them. How fun!

Carrie 12:13 AM  

LOL love it! I was so upset with my mom when she gave all my Barbies away to my cousin's kids.

Why S? 4:32 AM  

OK, this is making me feel old. No way could my mom have had Barbies. But I still have mine and they're in mint condition. I have Barbie and Skipper and their English cousin, Stacy, the blonde with the saucy bob. Secretly, Stacy was my favorite, but don't tell Barbie.

Amy Lynne 7:54 AM  

I love seeing your little one in the box! That is exactly what my boys wind up doing after opening a "new" toy!

Hoosier Homemade 8:21 AM  

How fun! I never had a lot of Barbies myself. And now I have boys. Indeed, a finer thing!
~Liz

Decor To Adore 10:37 AM  

I am visiting via Hooked on Houses. It is such fun to see your treasures.

Please drop by and enter my giveaway.

Have a blessed weekend!

Bdubba 10:02 AM  

(Visiting from Julia's)

I was the inheritor of all my cousin's Barbies. I loved them but my girls not so much....I still haven't gotten rid of them yet but am secretly hoping I have a reason to play with them again. lol

Amy @ Finer Things 11:49 PM  

My mom is a clutter-phobe. I don't even remember having any barbies (gasp!) but if I did, they were ousted long before I had anything to say about it!

Angie @ Many Little Blessings 10:59 PM  

My Mom saved all of my old Barbies, and when my kids were finally "old enough" I gave them the Barbies. My daughter was thrilled. She only had a few Barbies, and then all of the sudden had tons of them (thanks to my collection), as well as lots of clothes, etc.

I had to burst out laughing when I saw the feet on the Barbie. Bwahahaha! (Maybe I would feel better if my Barbies had looked like that though. I get so irritated when my kids pop a head off of one of my Barbies.)

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP