Monday, June 15, 2009

A Summer Schedule

I am a huge fan of schedules in theory. I love the idea of having a schedule written out and sticking to it day after day. My kids thrive when we are following a schedule. However, I am not so good at actually sticking to that schedule beyond a few days.

Putting the schedule together is fun and I always see what a huge benefit it will have for our family. I get excited to start implementing and have visions of wonderfully organized days ahead. Then reality hits and I slip from the schedule.

Fortunately, I'm good at trying again. One of these times it's bound to stick, right?

So today I thought I'd try a schedule again and tackled the project of putting our summer schedule together. Here's what I've come up with. Now to see how long it lasts.

8:00 - 9:00am - Wake Up (One of the benefits of Eric's work schedule is that we get to have lazy mornings. Some days we're all up and moving by 8:15, other days the kids come join us at some point and we all lay in bed until 9)

9:00am - 9:30am - Breakfast

9:30 am - 10:00am - Kids - morning chores; K - Kitchen clean-up, start dinner prep

10:00am - 11:00am - Kids - free play time; K - Finish dinner, clean kitchen

11:00am - 12:00pm - Walk/play outside (Fridays - errands, garage sales, etc.)

12:00pm - 1:00pm - Kids - reading, coloring, craft time; K - vacuum, clean, laundry, read with kids

1:00pm - 1:30pm - Lunch
1:30pm - 4:30pm - Play outside (Tuesdays - outing, errands, etc. Thursdays - library, farmer's market)

4:30pm - 5:30pm - Kids - computer time; K - Baking, advance prep work and general catch up

5:30pm - 6:00pm - Kids - baths, showers, clean up time

6:00pm - 6:30pm - Kids - tv time if everything is cleaned up; K - Finish any last minute dinner work and get plates ready
6:30pm - 7:00pm - Dinner

7:00pm - 7:30pm - Ready for bed

7:30pm - 3 youngest kids in bed; K - blog time until bed

8:15pm - Isabelle in bed

8:30pm - Lights out for youngest 3

10:00pm - Isabelle lights out

Stop by 5 Minutes For Mom for more Tackle It Tuesday and The Lazy Organizer for more Talk About Tuesday.

8 comments:

Goat Gal 1:10 AM  

Very detailed! Bravo!

Jenn @ Beautiful Calling 7:19 AM  

Looks good! I am a big fan of schedules but they also take work to implement! I'm not always so faithful at that end. Good luck :)

Tracey 8:35 AM  

We also are following a basic schedule for the summer - keeps us all from making each other crazy :)

Judy 9:08 AM  

I find when a don't have some sort of flow (or schedule) to the day the kids get themselves in more trouble. Your schedule looks good : )

Sue 9:12 AM  

That sounds like a perfectly balanced schedule to me! I think that's really neat to at least have some sort of framework to work with :-).

Enjoy your day!

Mikki 10:54 AM  

Hi Kate!
Ahh. Schedules. We have them too but have a hard time sticking to them. Now that my girls are older, we have basic schedules that just happen, but when it comes to deep cleaning the house and such- I've let that fall to the way side.
Maybe I'll dig my monthly cleaning chart and revise it some...

Have a great day!

Kristi 10:38 PM  

This is the first summer that we made one too. We did a great job sticking with it last week but we've had VBS all this week so it's kind of thrown a wrench in the plans. I will try to get back into it next week.

Jennifer 2:04 PM  

I too am terrible at schedules. I love being spontanious. If we decide that we want to go play at the splash pad or go look for ladybugs at the park we just go. Things are not perfect, but I am starting to realize that it is ok because we have a lot of fun. However, nap times and meals are all are done about the same time or they get cranky.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP