A few weeks ago, my brother-in-law and his fiancee came over for dinner. They brought the dessert - ice cream, sprinkles and ice cream cones. (The kids were thrilled!!) The ice cream that they brought was a big party pail from Kroger. We all really enjoyed the ice cream and as we started getting toward the bottom of the pail, my wheels started turning.
These party pails are a sturdy plastic with an air-proof, tightly closing lid and handle. See where I'm going with this? I have yet to run out of ideas for ways to reuse these pails. Now if only we could start eating ice cream faster!
These pails are frequently on sale at Kroger for just $2.99. And even at their regular price of $5.99, that's a fantastic deal for a gallon of ice cream. It really is good too. For our family of 6, we can all have a small helping every night for dessert (the kids literally have only a tablespoon or two). So far, two pails have seen us through a month. And even with only an above the fridge freezer that is filled with freezer meals and food for the month, we easily fit 2 pails in there.
Here are just a handful of ideas I've had for reusing these pails:
- Flour storage. (whether for dividing up bulk packages or for longer storage of 5 lb bags so that they stay air tight)
- Bathtub toy storage. The handle can be hung over the bath spout and the container is water proof. I think I'd poke a few small holes in the bottom of it so that the water could drain out.
- Craft supply storage.
- Compost scraps.
- Toy storage for little toys. (Umm, who am I kidding. The pails would become the toys!)
- Snack or other storage for in the car.
- For all of you gardeners out there, could I use these for potted plants? I'd love to do it but I'm not sure if it would work.
These pails are definitely working for me as we enjoy the ice cream, and they'll be working for me as I start putting all of my ideas to use.
Stop by We Are THAT Family for more Works For Me Wednesday.