Thursday, June 11, 2009

Pay Attention!

I had a realization earlier this week. I was thinking about frugality in general and our frugality as a family in particular. I was wondering what more, if anything, we could be doing to boost our frugal ways.

That's when I started thinking about just what we already do. And you know what, so much of our frugal living has become second nature that I was having a hard time listing everything. Then I realized that maybe if I paid better attention once in a while, I'd have a clearer picture of things.

So I am challenging myself to spend the next week really paying attention. What exactly does our frugality look like? What are the areas that we've let slide or ignored completely? Is there room for improvement or things that need to be reconsidered?

I'm kind of excited to see what I come up with. I've always known the importance of paying attention to where our money goes. You really can't be frugal without doing that. But now I'll also pay attention to where our money doesn't go. It should be interesting.

Do you pay attention to your frugality on a regular basis, or has it just become second nature like in our family? If you do pay attention, I'd love to hear some of your realizations and insight.

Don't forget to stop by Life As Mom for more Frugal Friday and Cents To Get Debt Free for Finding Freedom Friday.

7 comments:

The Farmer 10:03 PM  

Great post! I am struggling trying to find more frugal things to do as well. I do need to pay more attention to the things I've let slide since I know money isn't as tight as before!

Sue 10:23 PM  

I hate to admit that being the youngest of 6 kids with a Scottish heritage, growing up living frugally I am not that frugal. When my parents would nitpick over pennies it would drive me insane so I have rather swung the other way. I'm not wreckless with money per say, but I tend not to be overly frugal. I guess having a family of just the two of us makes it a little easier.

I am really impressed and awed by you though Kate. If I did have kids, I would be sitting at your feet trying to learn it all from you ;-)

Omah's Helping Hands 12:20 AM  

What a great topic. I'm personally not as frugal as I need to be, but hubby is very much so, which I'm very thankful for. He is aware of where it goes and where it doesn't but should be and is doing everything possible to change things to put it where it belongs and serves a better purpose. I'm getting more involved as well.
Thank you for bringing this very important topic to the table! You're awesome Kate! Have a great weekend!!!

Niki Jolene 8:40 AM  

Great post!

:)

Mikki 10:24 AM  

Great post.
I think my frugality has become second nature. I do shop at the drop of hat, I plan grocery trips and I don't buy anything unless it's on sale. It has even trickled down to my daughters and their shopping habits.. PTL!!

Sonshine 11:56 AM  

Great post!

It had become second nature until a few weeks ago when I realized that I needed to be get back on top of paying attention. Nothing makes one pay more attention when you are trying to budget for a couple of big house projects but still needing to pay the monthly bills and keep food in the house. :)

Just wanted to let you know that I have a couple of blog awards for you! Check over at my blog! Details here!

April 2:08 PM  

it's second nature to me now...I was trying to tell someone else some frugal ideas but kept drawing blanks!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP