Monday, May 25, 2009

Our Summer Has Officially Begun

Every Memorial Day weekend for the past few years, Eric and I have talked about going to the parade. For reasons that escape me know, we've never gone. But this year we finally tackled that and spent our morning at the parade.
We all had a fantastic time. The kids stood and clapped, cheered and waved for almost an hour. It was incredible to watch their fascination.Being at the parade was such a touching experience and it brought out so many feelings of thankfulness.Seeing the faces of veterans as they marched with pride in the parade made me wish I could thank them all personally. I can't even fathom what some of these men and women have lived through and how unselfishly they've given of themselves. Poignant! Notice the dates? If you can't see them, click on the picture to enlarge. He is still marching on!We were treated to a series of fly overs that were so awesome!

When the last of the parade passed us by, we headed down to the park to have a picnic. I had packed some simple things for us - cheese and crackers, apples and molasses cookies. We enjoyed a quiet picnic on the banks of the Huron River. Our souls were nourished...our bellies were filled...we reveled in a day of family, freedom and food. It was everything we hoped it could be, and a remarkable start of our summer. Oh, so many things to be thankful for!Stop by Heavenly Homemakers for more Gratituesday, 5 Minutes for Mom for more Tackle-It Tuesday and The Lazy Organizer for more Talk About Tuesday.

9 comments:

It Feels Like Chaos 11:28 PM  

Sounds like such a great day!

SnoWhite 7:27 AM  

very cool - glad you went to a parade and had such a great time celebrating our freedom!

Aisling 9:11 AM  

The empty wheelchair photo really got to me. Probably more because last night we watched the episode of extreme makeover Home Edition where the father dies 3 days after they finish filming.
Certainly made me think!

Danielle 12:11 PM  

That is great! I wish we could have gone to a parade yesterday. We did have a great time at the cemetery yesterday! Check out my Tackle It Tuesday here.

Carrie 5:04 PM  

Sounds delightful!

Anonymous,  6:04 PM  

Hi! I wandered over to your blog from HeavenlyHomemakers. Nice to "meet" you :) Have a blessed day!

PS: Can't wait to read some of your grocery/food posts... it's a new interest of mine lately!

Sue 7:22 PM  

Sounds like a perfect Memorial Day! Glad you had fun :-)

Niki Jolene 2:53 PM  

Great pics!

:)

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP