Monday, May 18, 2009

Frizzle Those Straggling Pieces of Lunch Meat

We don't buy lunch meat that frequently in our house, largely because there are so many other frugal options out there, but also because we try to avoid the overly-processed, nitrate-rich foods like that. However, we do indulge on occasion, probably once a month or so.

Unfortunately, what usually happens with our lunch meat purchase is that we all have a nice big sandwich one day and then have some straggling slices of meat. There's rarely enough for a second lunch, or even enough to make a sandwich just for Eric. So I like to use a little trick I learned from my dad - frizzled lunch meat.

Ordinarily ham is the lunch meat of choice for frizzling, but we have found it works just as well for turkey or roast beef. (And even the occasional fried bologna. Shocking, I know! But when you grew up with fried bologna being a huge breakfast treat made by your dad, you never really lose the taste for it.)

To frizzle lunch meat, cut slices into thin, long strips.
Then melt about a tablespoon of butter in a small skillet. Add the meat and cook for about 2-3 minutes, until ends are curled and meat is lightly crisped. I tend to cook mine a little longer because I like it really crispy.A great use for this frizzled meat is stirred into scrambled eggs. Or even just eaten plain, as a snack, which my kids go crazy for.

This post is being linked to:

22 comments:

Lynn 11:31 PM  

Great idea.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace 12:24 AM  

Great idea! I have some ham in the fridge that will go bad if I don't do something. Looks like breakfast!!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam 12:30 AM  

Frizzling meat? I love that term....how fun. I use ham in eggs, but never thought to just frizzle any lunch meat. :)

Brenda 12:42 AM  

I've never done this but its a great, frugal idea I'm sure I will try one day soon.

Donna ~Blessed Nest 4:03 AM  

Looks good. I'm like you. I don't buy processed often but when I do, it doesn't go quickly. My husband would love this. Looks like something my Grandmother would have made!

alpinekleins 5:44 AM  

Looks delicious, what a great idea, I'll for sure give this one a try. I love ideas that prevent great food from going to waste - thanks for sharing.

A happy heart at home 6:26 AM  

Great idea! Thanks for sharing it.

~Susan

SnoWhite 7:17 AM  

Delicious and a lot healthier than bacon :)

Emily @ Marvelous Recipes 10:03 AM  

This will be great on my husbands low-carb diet! Thanks for sharing.

Heather @ Just Doing My Best 10:12 AM  

This is a great way to use up those little bits remaining. I know my husband will like it! BTW, frizzled is such a cute word, cuter than "fried." :) Have to look around and see what else I can "frizzle."

annies home 10:27 AM  

allthough we never normally have leftovers of anysort let alone lunchmeat this is a great idea that I had never thought of and will be trying I am sure

Mary @Raising 4 Godly Men 10:28 AM  

YUMMY !!! I will have to try this with the turkey meat. This is what I would call comfort food. [0=

Blessings in Him<><
-Mary

Amanda@BetterisLittle 11:37 AM  

We don't eat much processed meats for the same nitrate reason, but when we do this is a great idea for those last few pieces. Btw, mt dad also LOVED fried bologna served with mustard!! Yummy! Hadn't thought of that in years. Where is my grocery list!?

Amanda @ Serenity Now 12:33 PM  

Great idea!!! Saw your link on Balancing Beauty and Bedlam waaaaay above mine. :) Just out of curiosity, what do you use for sandwiches---do you go to the deli? :)

Stacy 2:06 PM  

Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Mary Ellen 4:00 PM  

Looks delicious mixed with the eggs! I'm sure my family would enjoy it for breakfast. Applegate Farms makes great nitrate free lunch meat.

Lori T 4:21 PM  

I saw your link on BD, and I'm glad I came by. You've got a cute blog.

I've never thought to do this; what a neat idea. Thanks for the tip.

Sue 7:20 PM  

Kate, you are fast becoming my hero. Seeing all the amazing little frugally things you do is amazing!

Lisa 8:08 PM  

NOW I know what to do with those lonely slices of pastrami (O: Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous,  8:38 PM  

We have done this with ham for years. I like to add grated Cheddar cheese and let it really melt. Serve on bread with tomato and mayo. Delicious!

Jessica 11:14 PM  

Also makes a great baked potato topping, or even a cheeseburger topping. :) Love the name you've given it!

Cristi,  11:19 AM  

Wow. I was looking for something to do with lunch meat. I've been googling non stop...glad I came across this. Thanks!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP