Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Kitchen Counter Clutter

Even though we tend to collect a lot of clutter in our house, I've always tried to stay on top of it so that it doesn't overtake us. This has always been especially true in the kitchen. I tend to be a little anal-retentive about cleaning off the kitchen counters.

That typically means that I put the toys, papers and books that somehow seem to accumulate there away and wipe down the counters with a wet rag. Our breakfast bar, in particular, is a huge collector of clutter. Recently I've noticed that my anal-retentiveness has been lagging a bit with keeping that cleaned off.

I'm not sure what happened, but I just seem blind to that mess lately. I've taken to straightening the clutter instead of getting rid of it. It really started to bother me today. I'm determined to get back into the habit of keeping it cleaned off, although hopefully I'll be a little more relaxed with it.

However, a few weeks ago Eric brought me home a great kitchen counter clutter helper. I've always had a section of counter space where I keep some of my favorite cookbooks. These books kind of fill up some dead space that isn't very usable. But know that dead space is made a bit more usable with my newest toy.This cookbook stand is the perfect size for my little selection of favorites. I love the way it looks and how it adds a little splash of style to this otherwise barren corner.I think the best part of it is that it holds the cookbooks up and keeps them off the counter. That means they won't get wet or dirty from spills while I cook. It also means I now have a little extra space to store some magazines or my calendars or other things underneath the stand.

I'm realizing that this post seems a little double-minded. But it somehow all combines together in my little world. A newly cluttered space meets a newly uncluttered space. Actually, that phrase could apply to so many aspects of my life right now! I'm sure a lot you understand how this happens, at least I hope you do.

Anyhow...I'm linking this post to Things I Love Thursday over at The Diaper Diaries, because I really do love that cookbook stand.

3 comments:

Goat Gal 1:38 AM  

A very cool toy indeed! Hmm how could I manage my clutter better?

Maria 4:25 PM  

Love the little book rack. I was having the same trouble with dumping the mail, papers, etc. on our bar. I hung a basket on the wall in the kitchen. While I still set the mail down to go through it, I can easily move the whole stack to the basket and know that it all goes up to the office the next time. Controlling the clutter is a constant battle!!

Tasha 4:32 PM  

Love the cookbook rack. I wonder where I can find one of those.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP