Monday, April 20, 2009

Feeding The Kids On Mom & Dad's Date Night

Eric and I have date nights frequently, sometimes as much as twice a week. Because of his work schedule, any time just he and I eat dinner together counts as a date night for us. And then there are those rare occasions when we actually go out and have a family member watch the kids for us.

So because of that, I'm always looking for new ways to feed the kids when Eric and I are not eating with them. Here are a few of the tips I use:

  • I try to plan ahead as much as possible. I usually know at least a few days in advance when Eric and I are having a date night. So when I can, I'll try to plan for leftovers. That way, I can just heat up those leftovers for the kids and not worry about fixing something new for them.
  • If leftovers aren't an option, I'll usually just throw together something quick that I know the kids will really enjoy. It could be spaghetti, easy mac & cheese, or tuna casserole.
  • If neither of the above options are workable, I can usually find a meal that I froze earlier in the month for them. This is a last resort because my freezer meals are usually sized for the whole family. But there are certain things that work well for this, like meatloaf cups or frozen chicken fingers, because I can just pull out as many as I need without cooking an entire meals worth.
  • When we are actually going out, I always make sure I have a nice meal to feed our baby-sitter too. Our baby-sitters are either my in-laws or my brother-in-law and I view this meal as a way to thank them for watching the kids. So I try to make something special that I know will be enjoyed. Sometimes that means I have to prepare most of the meal a day ahead of time, but it is so worth it.
How does your family handle feeding the kids when your not eating with them?

Stop by Tammy's Recipes for more Kitchen Tip Tuesday.

3 comments:

Sonshine 8:58 AM  

I usually go for the quick freezer meals like sloppy joes, goulash, or chicken nuggets. I try to make it something that the kids will enjoy but something that is not a favorite of hubby's.

Great ideas!

Have a great day! :)

Raise Them Up 1:25 PM  

It is so wonderful that you have relatives so close and willing to watch the kiddos for you.

Our date nights most often consist of me cooking something special for my husband and I that our boys don't like. They love the frozen Jacks Pizzas and Chicken patties that Kroger often has on sale.

It makes it a win-win dinner, something we all look forward to.

I'm impressed that you have freezer meals done up to pick from. :) That's great!

Michele @ Frugal Granola 8:54 PM  

We usually do the leftover thing for the kiddo, too, or just give her a small part of our bigger meal (to be completed after she's in bed).

I really need to start planning another one soon- it's been awhile!

Blessings,
Michele :)

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP