Monday, February 02, 2009

Chicken Cacciatore

In our house, there are two things that always go over big at dinner time - spaghetti and chicken. So with chicken cacciatore, we get the best of both worlds.

I made a nice big batch this weekend and froze it for when my brother-in-law watches the kids later this week. The bulk of the meal freezes perfectly, and it works in a freezer bag, so it hardly takes up any room. All that will need to be done before dinner is to boil some pasta. Easy and delicious!

Chicken Cacciatore

  • 3 T. Extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 small onion, diced
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 3 carrots, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, diced
  • 1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 t. Italian seasoning
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken pieces (breasts or thighs)
  • 2 cans crushed tomatoes
  • 1/2 c. chicken stock
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, green pepper, carrots and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, until veggies are cooked but still a little crispy. Stir in seasonings.
2. Add chicken to the skillet. Cover with tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a slow boil, cover and simmer at least 30 minutes. The chicken should be fully cooked by this point, but a longer simmer time will result in more flavor. Before serving, you can cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces if desired. Serve over spaghetti.
Stop by Blessed With Grace for more tummy-tempting recipes, Blissfully Domestic for I Am Blissfully Domestic, Forever, Wherever for Tasty Tuesday and Tammy's Recipes for Kitchen Tip Tuesdays.
i am blissfully domestic kitchen

11 comments:

Anonymous,  11:26 PM  

This looks great and I really like your idea about freezing it. It would make a nice meal on a busy day! Thanks so much!
-Kim

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home 12:10 AM  

I've never had this before. Looks good!

Brenda 7:31 AM  

This was one of my favorites as a kid too.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet 8:23 AM  

Oh, yum! I haven't had chicken cacciatore in a long time. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

kahlanne 9:35 AM  

I have never had this and it looks so tempting. I have added it to my tumblr to try soon. Thanks.

Anonymous,  11:39 AM  

Looks yummy! Spaghetti is a favorite in my house too.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace 11:56 AM  

I am so glad to have this recipe. Thank you.

Kirstin 2:45 PM  

We love chicken cacciatore. I make mine in the crockpot and let it cook till done and actually serve it over rice. It was a dish that my mom (who was italian) cooked often. I too use boneless, skinless chicken and actually think it tastes better the next day or after it's been frozen. I think I've posted my recipe as well, but they are pretty similar.

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom 11:13 PM  

Thank you for sharing your recipe! I've never made or eaten chicken cacciatore, although I've heard great things about it!

Have a great trip to Blissdom! Sure wish I could go this year.

Niki Jolene 9:32 AM  

Yum, I'l be adding this to my "to try" list.

:)

Nancy 9:32 AM  

I love chicken cacciatore and haven't made it in ages. I'll have to add that to a menu very soon.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP