Monday, January 19, 2009

Versatile Bananas Foster Sauce

This is one of my favorite, most versatile recipes to have on hand. I call it a Bananas Foster sauce because that's what it reminds me of, although I know it's not necessarily authentic. It is still delicious though, and it tastes great with so many things.

Bananas Foster Sauce
This recipe adjusts very easily, so make as much or as little as you want.

  • 1/2 c. butter or margarine
  • 1 c. brown sugar
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  • 4 bananas, sliced
  • 2 t. vanilla
1. Melt butter or margarine in a medium skillet over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon. Bring to a slow boil and simmer about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Stir in sliced bananas and cook another 2-3 minutes. 3. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Serve hot or cold. Here are a few of our favorite ways to use this sauce.
  1. Over crepes or pancakes.
  2. Over ice cream.
  3. Over simple bread pudding or rice pudding.
  4. Over oatmeal.
  5. Stirred into plain yogurt.
  6. As a dip with homemade cinnamon-sugar tortilla chips.
  7. Mixed with cream cheese as a bagel spread.
Bananas Foster sauce over oatmeal.

Extras freeze wonderfully or keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.

Find more Tempt My Tummy Tuesday here.
Find more Kitchen Tips here.
Find more Blissfully Domestic entries here.i am blissfully domestic kitchen

13 comments:

MOMMY-MOMO 9:44 PM  

oh we would love this! it looks fantastic! love the idea over oatmeal.. yum!

Ali 10:36 PM  

Oh my goodness, I want some NOW!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home 11:28 PM  

Wow! This looks yummy! I've never had bananas foster, but I've always been curious about it. I'll have to bookmark this.

Lora @ my blessed life 11:54 PM  

Oh my. I've got to make this!! I can just imagine it over waffles-yum!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace 12:01 AM  

This looks GREAT! My daughter and I love our bananas. I am excited to have this recipe.

Brenda 6:24 AM  

Those are some great ideas!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet 7:48 AM  

This sounds absolutely amazing!! :D Thank you for sharing!

akawest 9:28 AM  

That looks heavenly. I even have the ingredients in the kitchen. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown 5:48 PM  

And I thought banana bread was the only way to use bananas that were getting too ripe... thanks for the new recipes. I'm dying to try both, I wish that my half green bananas would hurry along!

Shannon

Anonymous,  5:54 PM  

Yum Yum Yum!! I love bananas foster, thanks for sharing this. I bet it's divine over ice cream!

Lynn 12:58 PM  

This looks OUTSTANDING! I'm printing it out right now :) Thanks for sharing.

annies home 9:01 AM  

this sounds great

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP