Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Make Ahead First Course Option

I love big salads with lots of good stuff and a whole heap of dressing on top. But to me, those are everyday, casual type salads. When I'm entertaining or taking a salad somewhere, I like to get a little fancier.

The only problem with fancier salads is that they usually require last minute preparation work. Some soups are the same way. And I really don't like anything that absolutely must be done at the last minute.

So here is a fantastic first course option that can be made ahead of time. In fact, it is even better when made early. That definitely works for me!

Zucchini and Hearts of Palm
This salad is a tradition at my parent's house. I don't think it would feel like Christmas Eve if we did not have this salad.
  • 3 large (or 4 small) zucchini
  • 2 14-oz. cans hearts of palm
  • juice of 3 lemons
  • 1/2 t. marjoram
  • 1/2 t. oregano
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 t. pepper
  • 1 t. salt
  • 3 T. peanut oil (no substitutions) **I know this isn't a very frugal ingredient, but the oil stays good indefinitely when refrigerated. And trust me, once you make this dish, you'll want it again and again and that peanut oil will prove to be a very worthwhile investment.
1. Scrub but do not peel zucchini. Trim off the ends and cut vertically into thin matchsticks. Place in a large glass bowl or ziploc bag. (Do not use a metal bowl as that will affect the flavor of the marinade.)
2. Rinse hearts of palm in cold water; pat dry. Cut into similar-size thin strips. Add to bowl and toss gently with zucchini.
3. Mix remaining ingredients together and whisk well, or place in a glass jar and shake to combine. Drizzle over vegetables and toss together until well mixed.
4. Chill well before serving (at least 4 hours - longer is better) to let the flavors combine.


JessieLeigh is hosting day 3 - the salads - of the Bloggy Progressive Dinner. Head over there to find more salad recipes, enter her great giveaway, and link up your own salad recipe.

If you're just joining in the fun, I hosted the appetizers right here yesterday, along with my own giveaway. Also visit Five J's for drinks and Joy's giveaway. Feel free to link up to any day throughout the week and join us!
And head over to Shannon's blog for more Works For Me Wednesday.

0 comments:

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP