Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Keeping Track Of Christmas Gifts

Every Christmas I struggle with remembering what we purchased for others, including our own children, the year before. I also wonder how much we spent on gifts for each person. And every Christmas, I think I should start using my mom's system. This year, I've finally done it and I know it is really going to work for me.

For as long as I can remember, my mom has had this thick blue notebook. In it, she keeps records of Christmases, birthdays, and other special occasions. She writes down who she purchased gifts for, what she bought, and how much she spent. She also makes notes of sizes or specific preferences. And she marks down what she, and other members of the immediate family, received from someone else

This book keeps her from buying duplicate presents over the years or from buying similar items for other members of a family. It also helps her stick to her budget. And it even, in very rare cases, keeps her from re-gifting a gift to the person that gave it to her.

I have always loved this idea and I'm glad I'm finally doing it! It has already made shopping easier this year (with sizes and suggestions in one place) and I know it will help even more next year.

Head over to Shannon's blog for more Works For Me Wednesday.

5 comments:

Omah's Helping Hands 11:00 PM  

Excellant idea. I've tried keeping tract, but it's always been on loose paper, then I end up losing it. A notebook, how useful. This way too, one can keep up with ages. Time goes by so fast. A couple of years ago, I sent some of our neices and nephews coloring books and such. I ended up embarrassed when the following year we recieved a graduation announcement for one of them. It was a shock. Can only imagine the looks on their faces. ;)Thanks for the great idea!

Lynn 12:46 AM  

This sounds like a simple but wonderful idea. Thanks :)

Unknown 9:18 AM  

Gifting organization, great idea!

Shannon

Anonymous,  11:32 AM  

I have done this since 2000. It makes gift buying soooo much easier. I've added a twist though...
My list is in an excel spreadsheet. There is a tab for each year. I can also keep track of my budget with this. So I don't loose it, it stays in my "Documents" on the computer and I've kept the title simple...Giftlist.xls. :)

Audra Krell 4:57 PM  

Sometimes it's the simple things that we overlook that make such a difference. Thanks for suggesting this great tip!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP