Thursday, December 18, 2008

Homemade Dog Treats

If you have a special dog or two in your life, do you buy Christmas presents for them? If you do, why not treat them to some homemade goodies instead of another toy or over-priced snack. These also make a wonderful gift to give any family members or friends who have dogs.

Cheesy Garlic Dog Treats
(Recipe makes around 3-4 dozen, depending on the cookie cutter size)

  • 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup stick margarine, softened
  • 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • Dash salt
  • 6 to 8 tablespoons milk
1. Place cheese and margarine in a large mixing bowl and mix until completely combined. Slowly add whole wheat flour, garlic and salt until crumbly. Add milk a tablespoon at a time just until the dough comes together. You want a very stiff dough.

2. Working with a section of dough at a time, roll out until 1/4 inch thick. Cut out desired shapes with cookie cutters.3. Place the cutouts on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 13-17 minutes.
Now, get creative with the wrapping and have fun giving these as gifts to all of the dogs in your life!

By the way, these really don't taste bad for humans either. Add a little more salt and seasonings, roll thin and cut into crackers.

For more Frugal Friday, stop by Crystal's blog.

2 comments:

Miranda 8:41 AM  

Great recipe! My kids were just asking to make our dog some treats for Christmas and I have all these ingredients on hand! Thanks.

Merry Christmas... thanks for such an inspirational site!
Miranda

Anonymous,  1:39 PM  

Skip the garlic, dogs can be sensitive to it

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP