Thursday, December 18, 2008

Bloggy Progressive Dinner - It's Dessert Time!

I am so excited that tonight is dessert night! I love nothing more than finishing up a great meal with a luscious dessert and nice cup of coffee. (My hips can attest to that!) And after the wonderful food we have been enjoying this week, I'm all set for something sweet.

Tonight I have two of our family favorites that we love to have for dessert during birthday celebrations. After all, Christmas is all about celebrating the birth of Jesus, so why not make Him a birthday cake or treat?
Best Ever Birthday Cake
For cake:

  • 3/4 c. shortening, butter or margarine
  • 1 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 t. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 t. almond extract
  • 2 1/2 c. cake flour (I use all-purpose, minus 2 T. per cup)
  • 2 t. baking powder
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 1 c. cold water
  • 4 egg whites
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with water. Beat just until combined. In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.

2. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

For frosting:
  • 2 c. shortening, butter or margarine
  • 6 c. confectioners' sugar
  • 1 t. almond extract
  • 1 t. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 2 -3 T. milk

1. In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening, confectioners' sugar, extracts, and salt until light and fluffy. Add enough milk to achieve frosting consistency. Frost cake.

Here is Eric's favorite dessert. He is not much of a cake fan, although he does like the flavors of German Chocolate cake. So this is the best of both worlds for him.

German Chocolate Bars
  • 1 box German chocolate cake mix
  • 1 tub Carmel Pecan frosting
  • 1 c. chocolate chips
  • 1/2 c. butter or margarine
  • 1/4 c. milk
1. Cut butter into cake mix until crumbly. Press 2 1/2 c. into a greased 13x9 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
2. Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips on top, then drop the frosting on, a tablespoon at a time. Mix the remaining cake mix with the milk and drop on as the top layer. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.

Now, head over to The Happy Housewife to see what she's serving up for dessert. And while you're there, make sure you link up with your own dessert recipe and her awesome handmade apron giveaway.

If you haven’t visited the other “homes” in our bloggy progressive dinner it’s not too late to stop by and find some delicious recipes. There are also giveaways going on at each blog.

*Joy served DRINKS on Monday Dec. 15 at Five Js.
*I served APPETIZERS on Tuesday, Dec. 16 at A Simple Walk.
* JessieLeigh served SALADS on Wednesday, Dec. 17 at Parenting the Tiniest of Miracles.
* Amy served the MAIN COURSE on Thursday, Dec. 18 at The Finer Things in Life.
* Toni is serving up DESSERT on Friday, Dec. 19 at The Happy Housewife.

Stop by Grocery Cart Challenge for more recipes.

4 comments:

Lynn 10:02 PM  

These look really good. Thanks for sharing.

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home 10:12 PM  

Your birthday cake looks yummy. Wish I had a piece! The german chocolate bars sound good too!

Unknown 8:31 AM  

You've done it again, these will immediately be added to my must try recipe list!

Shannon

Andrea Holloman 5:01 PM  

Thanks for posting these recipes. I can't wait to try them.

Merry CHRISTmas from NC!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP