Monday, November 17, 2008

So Many Things To Be Thankful For

There are so many things in my life to be thankful for this week.

First of all, my birthday was last Friday. My birthday always reminds me of my beginning and that gives me many reasons to be grateful. I'm reminded of a young girl who did the right, but hard thing. She chose to carry and give birth to a child whom she would never know. I don't know anything about her other than that she was young and played the piano. (When I was little and practicing piano when I wanted to be watching tv, I wasn't very grateful for that knowledge.) But a birthday can not pass without my thinking of her and thanking her for the choice she made.

That leads me to the wonderful people who wanted another child and patiently waited to adopt one. They opened their hands and hearts to a little baby who was colicky, prone to ear infections, didn't eat, and was all-around cranky. But those things didn't matter to my parents in the least. They just knew that I was theirs and they loved me. And as I grew, I knew they were the only mom and dad for me. I may have grown only in their hearts, but I was placed in their hands by a very smart and loving God who had the perfect family picked out just for me. I know I don't tell them often enough, but I am so grateful for the choice they made, the love they gave, and the way they raised me. I am who I am today because I was their child.

My birthday also leads to the next thing I am thankful for this week. Eric and I had one of our rare date nights away from home. He took me to a fantastic restaurant. The food was incredible, the musician was great, and our conversation was even better. After dinner, we stopped for a little while by a bar where Eric's networking group was having their 10th Anniversary party. We chatted with some of the people from the group and I was finally able to put faces with names I have been hearing for over a year. While we were there, a friend of ours that we used to work with stopped by and we were able to spend some time with her also. What a great night!

And last but not least, I am so grateful for the wonderful clothes I received last week. I have been just giddy when getting dressed every morning and having all of these wonderful new options.

Don't forget to stop in at Laura's blog for more Gratituesday. Also, head over to Lara's blog for Talk About Tuesday.

10 comments:

Mrs. O 2:05 AM  

Happy Birthday and congrats on your night out - those are hard to come by.

Anonymous,  8:42 AM  

Thanks for sharing your story...very sweet. As an adoptive mom, it's nice to hear from a different perspective. You should check out my TAT from last week (11/11)...it's my son's adoption story. Amazing!

Marnie 9:34 AM  

Happy Birthday, and what a wonderful blessing you are!

Jen 9:47 AM  

What a great post. Thanks for sharing it. My Mom is adopted as well into a very loving and Godly family. I thank God for them every day. Happy Birthday!!

Christine - Tutorial Addict :) 11:43 AM  

Happy Birthday! Your story was beautifully told, your perspective is a positive one, LOVE IT! YAY DATE NIGHT TOO! Sounds like you guys had a great time. It's so wonderful and refreshing to hear such a positive look at life :D

Dreamer 1:10 PM  

happy birthday, I also love those prcious nights out!

Judy 5:18 PM  

What a great entry. It is so fitting for this week....I don't know if you know it or not but it is National Adoption Week. This is something very near and dear to my heart. I have 3 children that have grown in my heart and I know without any doubt that God knew from the beginning that these would be my children. It is great to hear about it from another view.
Date night sounded great.

Karen @dixielandcrafts 6:07 PM  

Thank you so much for sharing your story. As an adoptive mother of 4, my prayer & hope is that my children grow up knowing & understanding GOD'S plan in their story. I know that they were placed in my heart & home by HIM and I hope one day they know this as well. Please stop on by and read my story titled "my journey to motherhood" it's my very first post! Happy Belated Birthday!!!!

God Bless,
Karen <><

Lora @ my blessed life 7:33 PM  

Happy Birthday! That's a wonderful story, thanks for sharing it. Glad you had a great night out, too.

Laura 10:43 PM  

I LOVE your story and am so glad you shared it! Sounds like your birthday was wonderful. I'm so glad for you!!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP