Sunday, October 19, 2008

Menu Plan Monday - Week of 10/20

This week I'll use some of our freezer meals for dinner and save the rest for next week. I love having these meals on hand, especially for days when we are spending quite a bit of time outside of the house. I also have a lot of chicken on the menu for some reason this week. That means I'll probably improvise if I can. I usually don't like making the same protein two days in a row.

Breakfast

Lunch
  • M - Quesadillas, apple slices
  • T - Crustless carrot quiches (recipe below), cottage cheese
  • W - Chickpea salad in pitas, oranges
  • Th - Tuna pasta salad, peaches
  • F - Sausage & cheese biscuits, apple slices
  • S - Taco roll-ups, pineapple
  • Su - Grilled ham & cheese, onion soup
Dinner
  • M - Stuffed shells (from freezer), Italian breadsticks
  • T - Creamy chicken enchiladas, black beans & corn
  • W - Cheeseburger pie, peas
  • Th - White chicken chili, biscuits
  • F - Parm chicken fingers (from freezer), brown rice pilaf w/mixed veggies
  • S - Reuben hash, cinnamon apples
  • Su - Homemade southwestern eggrolls, mango salsa
Cinnamon-Raisin Swirl Bread
  • 4 - 4 1/2 whole wheat flour
  • 3 t. yeast
  • 1 c. apple cider or juice
  • 1/2 c. milk
  • 3 T. honey
  • 1 T. butter or margarine
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 c. raisins
  • 1 T. butter, melted
  • 2 T. sugar
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  • 1 egg white, slightly beaten
  • 1 t. water
1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of the flour and the yeast.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the apple cider or juice, milk, honey, butter, and salt until warm (115-120 degrees), stirring often. Add apple mixture to flour. Add egg. Mix until well combined, add remaining flour (1/4 c. at a time) and continue mixing.
3. Knead the dough, adding more flour as needed, until smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes. Place in an oiled bowl and let rise for 1 hour.
4. While dough is rising, cover raisins with boiling water for about 10 minutes, until plump. Drain well.
5. Punch down dough and divide in half. Let rest for 10 minutes.
6. Roll out each section of dough, brush with melted butter, and sprinkle with raisins sugar and cinnamon. Tightly roll up jelly roll style and seal with fingertips.
7. Place loaves on greased baking sheets. Cut 4 diagonal slashes across each loaf of bread. Combine egg white and water and brush over each loaf. cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
8. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes.

Crustless Carrot Quiches
  • 1/4 c. sliced green onions
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 1 1/2 c. shredded carrots
  • 3 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack
  • 3 T. cornmeal
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1/2 t. pepper
  • 1/2 t. Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 t. nutmeg
1. Over medium heat, cook onions and garlic in olive oil for about 2 minutes. Add carrot and cook 2 more minutes. Remove from heat.
2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, cheese, cornmeal and seasonings. Stir in carrot mixture. Pour into 12 greased muffin cups and bake at 325 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until set.

Stop by I'm An Organizing Junkie for more Menu Plan Monday.

12 comments:

Nancy 10:26 PM  

I love the Southwest Eggrolls at Chili's restaurant. I'd love it if you'd share your recipe.

Have a good week.

Jendeis 10:36 PM  

Your menu looks delicious! This is a definite bookmark for your recipes. :)

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet 11:28 PM  

Great looking menu! We love homemade cinnamon raisin bread. Yum!

We had your apple cream cheese muffins this past week and were delish.

Have a great week!
Sherry

mub 4:28 AM  

Those little quiches look delicious, thanks for the recipe!

AnnMarie Brown 7:34 AM  

Great menu plan for this week I love that you post all three meals.

HDMac 9:41 AM  

Nummy menu!!!

Sonshine 9:45 AM  

yummy!!

I know what you mean in regards to not having the same protein two days in a row! That is what was happening here a couple of weeks ago and that is when my hubby started balking about having soooo much chicken! :) So this week there is variety in my menu however, there is no guarantees for the following weeks. LOL

Enjoy your week!

Oh...thanks for stopping by glad I could help with getting your Thanksgiving unit off the ground. :)

Anonymous,  12:05 PM  

I've been needing some veggie variety. Those carrot quiches might fit the bill! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown 10:35 PM  

I like frozen entrees for quick meals. We'll have salad on the side to make it more healthy.

Me 4:53 PM  

Your crustless carrot quiche looks really good! I might have to give it another name for my family to eat it though!

Grammy's Recipes

Anonymous,  11:36 PM  

Chocolate chip muffins. Yum!

Thanks for visiting my site. Have a great week!

Allie
Learningtobefrugal.com

Anonymous,  4:00 PM  

Your menu looks just great. Have you always made menus for all three meals? I've never planned out breakfast and lunch ahead of time just dinner.

Elaine

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP