Sunday, September 28, 2008

Menu Plan Monday - Week of 9/29

I can't believe it's already the end of the month...again! It seems like the days have just been flying by lately.

This week we will be using up what we have around the house. Saturday will be our monthly shopping trip. I've been procrastinating a little the past few days and haven't started to work on my menu plan for next month yet. So needless to say, I do not know what we will be eating on Saturday or Sunday yet. I am pretty sure that we'll have cheese ravioli on Saturday night though. That is our usual grocery shopping day dinner.

Here's the plan for the rest of the week.

Breakfasts


Lunch
  • M - Tuna melts & peaches
  • T - Quesadillas & orange wedges
  • W - Tuna pasta salad, applesauce
  • Th - Macaroni & cheese, pears
  • F - Egg salad wonton cups, pineapple
Dinner
Cheddar Potato & Ham Soup
  • 1 T. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 2 celery stalks, diced
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 1/2 lb. ham slices, cubed
  • 4 potatoes, cubed
  • salt, pepper & dill
  • 4 c. chicken stock
  • 1/4 c. butter
  • 1/4 c. flour
  • 2 c. milk
  • 1/2 lb. extra-sharp cheddar, cubed or shredded
  • 1/2 t. pepper
  • 1/2 t. garlic powder
  • 1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, celery and carrots. Cook until onions and celery are translucent. Add ham and potatoes. Season with salt, pepper & some dill. Add chicken stock, bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk, bring to a boil and cook until thickened. Remove from heat. Add cheese and stir until melted. Add seasonings.
3. When potatoes are tender, whisk the cheese sauce into the soup pot. Continue boiling slowly until soup is desired thickness, stirring frequently.

You can find more Menu Plan Monday at I'm An Organizing Junkie.

9 comments:

Anonymous,  10:44 PM  

Kate,

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love your recipe for the soup- and the funny thing is that I was just thinking last night how I had to get my hands on this recipe!

Unknown 7:39 AM  

Yummmm... looks wonderful.
We are very much looking forward to Tuesday!!! Thanks for stopping by.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet 7:53 AM  

Great looking menu, Kate! The soup sounds delish! I have a cheesy ham and potato soup that sounds almost like this one. :D

Have a great week!
Sherry

Nancy 12:12 PM  

I am a soup person and your recipe sounds yummy. Have a good week!

Sonshine 1:43 PM  

Great menu! That soup looks yummy!

Enjoy your week! :)

Anonymous,  5:26 PM  

Your soup DOES look good! I'm going to copy it and try when the weather dips down below 90. Although I might get desperate enough to start making soups before that happens.

Thanks for the linky love. =0)

Teresa 1:13 AM  

Ok, I am so gonna try that soup. I love trying different soups as the weather gets colder. If it would ever get colder here! :-)

Stephanie Appleton 7:23 AM  

Mmmm it is starting to be soup weather. I love it!

Thank you for participating in Make it from Scratch this week.

Jerralea 12:55 PM  

I came by and saw this recipe. It looks so yummy! I'm going to have to try it.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP