Friday, August 08, 2008

Our Favorite Summer Event

Today was our town's annual art festival. If you've read my blog at all this past week, you probably know how much we've been looking forward to this event. It has definitely become one of our favorite summer traditions.
The day started with one of Eric's favorite treats of the day: Bayou Billy Homemade Soda Pop. This stuff is the real deal! They sell refillable tin mugs that are good for $1 refills for life. Our mugs stay in our kitchen cabinet all year long just waiting for this weekend!
After that, Alex and Olivia got to try out their firefighting skills. They were both a little nervous, so Eric had to stay in the middle and hold on to each of their hands. Even though they were nervous, they both just loved it. Alex, like just about every other little boy out there, is really interested in all things firefighting. I wish I had gotten a close-up of his thrilled beyond words face.
Gracie looked on wistfully the whole time. I'm sure she was thinking about next year already, and about being able to participate in all that fun.

We spent a lot of time walking up and down Main St. exploring all of the art booths. There was some amazing stuff being sold. We didn't buy anything this year, although I fell in love with some beautiful brown pottery, especially the coffee mugs. I also really enjoyed looking at the clothing. We saw some of the neatest stuff at this booth, Thrifty Trixie. The motto on their website perfectly sums up the clothing: "Thrift store clothing disassembled and uniquely reinvented with vintage textiles and other awesome fabrics." The website is still under construction so you really can't get a good idea of all their fabulous choices. I specifically liked their tiered skirts with chenille mid panels. So beautiful!
After walking around for about 3 hours, we decided to splurge on an unhealthy snack for us all to share: butterfly chips covered in chili cheese sauce. It was SO good and the kids loved it too. Olivia really got into it and just dug her hand right into the sauce.
That look on Gracie's face is of sheer determination as she tried to get every last little speck of sauce off her stroller tray.
As expected, it was a wonderful day. Now, just 364 days until we get to do it all again! (Or until Labor Day weekend, when we'll go to an even larger art fair/taste fest.)

Isabelle has been sorely missed around here, but I haven't gotten the impression from her that she is missing us at all! She has spent the week going to the zoo, Kiddieland, The Museum of Science & Industry, miniature golfing, shopping, seeing the Kit Kittredge movie, eating in lots of restaurants and just having a blast with her cousins. Tomorrow she is having a mini Birthday party before her birthday next week with a bratwurst dinner and an ice cream cake. We will be so glad to have her home though.

2 comments:

Michele @ Frugal Granola 2:09 AM  

That looks so fun!!

I enjoyed browsing through the Thrifty Trixie portfolio- lots of inspiration there! :

You take such amazing photos. Thanks for sharing your day! :)

Blessings,
Michele

Sonshine 10:55 PM  

Sounds like a fun filled family day!!!

Thanks for sharing your day! :)

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP