Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Joyful Parenting

My ongoing quest to put more joy into every aspect of my life continues. There are just so many things to focus on, and so many areas where I want joy infused into my daily activities, both inwardly and outwardly.

Along the way, I have found myself filled with questions. Is it truly possible to be filled with joy at all times? Now, I'm not talking about those bad days that we all know are an inherent part of life, but the average, ordinary days. The days where I'm just going along, doing my normal mothering, homemaking, wife-ing (I had to make up a word to fit, sorry) things - is it valid to believe that I can (or perhaps should) be joyful 100% of the time? And on the other hand, with Christ as my core, is it really possible to NOT be filled with joy?

Anyhow, enough with the questions. On to my newest revelation. When it comes to being a joyful mother, I've noticed that patience plays a very critical role. Young children require a great deal of patience as a rule. But I've noticed if I am lacking in patience, my joyfulness tends to fly right out the window. I can not be impatient, irritated or annoyed with my kids and still be filled with all kinds of mama-joy. It just doesn't work like that, at least not for me.

So I realize that maybe being more joyful is not the priority to work on, but instead, it will be the end result of work in other areas. My task then is to pay attention to my behaviors that rob me of joy. Who knew finding and living joy could be such an involved undertaking? It really is an interesting journey. And there is still so much to explore.

Graphic courtesy of Art.com.

4 comments:

Anonymous,  8:12 AM  

Great post! I struggle with this as well and some days question my decision to stay home. This is quickly replaced with rewarding hugs and kisses but I can't say it is not a struggle. I guess it is the loneliness for me that is the change (not saying kids aren't company) but it is a different sort of company. Thanks for sharing your struggle in this area.

Anonymous,  3:30 PM  

OH does this speak to me~I too thank you for sharing your heart here!

I have an idea for niki~start a Friday Ladies group in your home! It could be whatever day once a month just for fellowship. Everyone brings a dish, the Moms enjoy talking over Mommy and wifely things while you eat yummies and the children play and tear up the house. It is SO WORTH IT~smile~ (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Anonymous,  9:42 AM  

Great post and sooo very true!! I just finished reading "Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit" by Terri Maxwell. It was a great book, same topic as your post!! Thanks for the encouragement

Michele @ Frugal Granola 10:11 AM  

This was really good, Kate. Thanks! :)

By the way, I tagged you on my blog!
Blessings,
Michele :)

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP