Sunday, August 10, 2008

Menu Plan Monday - Week of 8/11

Isabelle got home from her week-long trip to Chicago today. Eric drove half-way to meet my dad and make the transfer of child, stuff, and cooler. The cooler was stocked with 2 packages of Polish sausage, 6 packages of pierogi, and some leftover ice cream cake from Isabelle's birthday party on Saturday.

My grandmother was the one who sent the Polish sausage and pierogi. She is proudly Polish and her heritage is an integral part of her life. She has also passed that pride down to her children and grandchildren. So, she considers it an obligation to make sure we get our fill of Polish food. We really appreciate her generosity and always make sure we have a nice Polish meal in her honor.

This past Christmas, I made pierogi from scratch for the very first time using my grandma's recipe. They turned out really good for a first attempt and I'm looking forward to making them again this year. And now that I have the understanding of just how much work goes in to making them, I appreciate these packages of pierogi that much more.

Anyhow, here is what is on our menu plan for the week.

Breakfast
M - Oatmeal with bananas & brown sugar
T - French toast
W - Banana nut pancakes
Th - Chocolate chip muffins & smoothies
F - Sunshine toast
S - Poppy seed-cranberry bread & smoothies
Su - Leftover muffins or bread

Lunch
M - Tuna pasta salad and cantaloupe
T - Cheese & crackers, mixed berries, yogurt
W - Nachos & watermelon
Th - Egg salad or chicken salad sandwiches, peaches
F - Taco roll-ups, yogurt, avocado salad
S - Grilled cheese & watermelon slushies
Su - TBD

Dinner
M - Polish sausage, potato pierogi, maple-glazed carrots
T - Spaghetti w/meat sauce, oven-baked breaded zucchini
W - Taco bar and root beer floats, lemonade pie* (Isabelle's birthday dinner)
Th - Chickpea curry, mixed green salad
F - Chicken pasta salad with grapes & walnuts, breadsticks
S - BLTs, cantaloupe
Su - BBQ chicken, corn on the cob, rosemary potatoes

Lemonade Pie

  • 1 graham cracker pie crust

  • 1 14oz. can sweetened condensed milk, chilled

  • 1 12oz. container whipped topping, thawed

  • 1 6oz. can frozen lemonade concentrate

1. Gently fold together whipped topping and sweetened condensed milk. Add frozen concentrate and continue to fold gently, just until combined. (Do this quickly before the concentrate has time to thaw.)

2. Pour mixture into prepared pie crust, cover, and freeze overnight.

Find tons more menu plans for this week over at Org Junkie.

8 comments:

Michele @ Frugal Granola 12:24 AM  

Oh, it was YOU that had the chickpea curry recipe! :) I could not remember where I had seen it, and was wanting to make it last week. Thanks for linking it! I bookmarked it this time, so hopefully I'll be able to make it soon. I just got most of those veggies at the Farmer's Market today. :)

Your Polish food sounds delicious!
Happy Birthday, Isabelle! :)

Blessings,
Michele

Bird Stalker Photography 7:50 AM  

I love pierogis my mother in law and husband and I make them because they are a lot of work.

Niki Jolene 9:31 AM  

Mmmmm.....pierogies! Haven't had them in years but I am swooning at the mere mention of homemade ones.

:)

Nancy 9:46 AM  

I've got a chickpea curry dish on my menu this week too. I read somewhere just last week that curry is good for your brain; Fights against the onset of Alzheimer's. Since there's a history of Alzheimer's in my husband's family, I decided I needed to include this in my menus on a more regular basis.

Nicole 11:03 AM  

Yumm your menu sounds so good- especially Polish night :)

Sonshine 12:08 PM  

What a yummy week planned!!

Thanks for the recipe links! :)

Enjoy your week!

Lauren 5:55 AM  

That lemonade pie is one of our favorite desserts around here!

Kiy 12:07 AM  

Wow, as wonderful as your dinners look (and they do!), I want to join you and your family every morning for breakfast. Whoa gal, impressive!

Thanks for stopping by. It's always nice to 'meet' new friends.

Kiy

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP