Friday, July 11, 2008

Hit or Miss - Take Your Pick

I have been trying out lots of new recipes this past week as we've been really striving to eat more healthfully and freshly. My goal is to really take advantage of the wonderful fresh produce available right now, as well as improve our overall eating habits. Needless to say, it has been an interesting week.

We had smoothies with breakfast every day this week and they were just wonderful. I think I may start stocking my freezer with "smoothie bags" made from an assortment of fresh fruits while they are so inexpensive (relatively speaking that is). This morning's smoothie consisted of plain yogurt, blueberries, bananas, a few leftover strawberries, and flax seed. They were awesome! I could easily put some blueberries, bananas, and strawberries into freezer bags for the rest of the year.

Dinner's were another matter entirely though. Monday night's dinner, the tuna and white bean skillet, was a complete flop! I did post the recipe for Menu Plan Monday, so you can try if you think you're family would like it. It looked beautiful and delicious, but it just did not cut it for us taste wise.

The definite winners for the week were: homemade pesto (with basil from my new basil plant!) and toasted walnuts over spaghetti and chickpea and veggie curry over brown rice. The curry I made last night and it was so good! I tried to get a picture of it in all its prettiness, but my camera battery died and I couldn't find a replacement. But, here is the recipe anyhow. The measurements are just an approximation as I was totally winging it the whole time. Dump....taste...add some more...taste...well, you know the drill.

Chickpea and Veggie Curry
2 cups dried chickpeas, soaked and fully cooked
2 T. olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 yellow squash, halved lengthwise and slice
1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
2 T. curry powder
1 t. coriander
1 t. salt
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
1 c. chicken stock (or vegetable stock)

Heat olive oil in a deep skillet. Add onion and pepper; cook for 3 minutes minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes longer. Add zucchini, yellow squash and mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are nice and brown, about 5 minutes. Add fully cooked chickpeas and seasonings and cook for 3 more minutes. Add stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Serve over brown rice.

So simple, but SO good! Everyone loved it. I think next time I might try upping the curry a bit and making a cucumber riatta to serve with it, or I'll just leave it as is.

I'm still working on my menu plan for next week, but I'm trying to fill it with lots more produce and fresh ideas. I'll let you know how it goes.

5 comments:

Sonshine 9:56 PM  

I hear you about recipe flops! I have had some of those these past couple of weeks as well.

However, your cheesy potato recipe seemed to be a hit with most of my family. Today I took the leftovers and put them in a skillet with some olive oil and fried them up like hash browns (cheesy sauce on them and all!) Once they had crispies on them I knew they were done so I served them up sprinkled them with a some shredded cheddar and put some ketchup on them and ate them up..they were good!

Thanks for sharing the recipes. :)

Kate 10:52 AM  

Sonshine, That does sound good! I'll definitely try that the next time we have some leftovers, although leftovers are hard to come by sometimes! I bet they would be great with breakfast too. Thanks so much for the idea!

Unknown 6:18 PM  

Yummm... my guys are not too adventurous when it comes to curry, but maybe I'll try to sneak it in. The basil pesto recipe sounds DELISH! I love having access to fresh herbs in our garden, and basil is definitely one of my favorites.

6intow 11:26 PM  

Those smoothies are just the way we make them! I have recently started sneaking in a handful of spinach, lettuce, or beet greens depending on what I have on hand. It doesn't change the flavor at all, but adds a little more nutrition without force feeding. :-)I add a little more each time, and so far, so good!
~Erin

8invitations.com 4:29 PM  

while desperate for some help with planning my menu, I stumbled upon your blog. I love it and I can't wait to catch up on your older posts. Thanks for sharing.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP