Tuesday, June 03, 2008

WFMW: Boredom-Busting Blogging (for kids)


This week's Works For Me Wednesday theme is: "Mom, I'm Bored." One of the best boredom fighting tools I've uncovered recently is blogging. Not for myself, although I may be known to blog every once in a while, but for my 8 year old daughter. Her blog has become the go-to when she needs something to do, and I couldn't be happier with this situation.

Her blog is just a collection of random thoughts, short stories, and funny tidbits, peppered with a few homeschool assignments. She has full creative license for whatever she chooses to post that is not an assignment. Although I read each post before she is allowed to publish it, I do not correct her grammar or choice of words. (If I had to I would, but that situation has just not presented itself yet.) She has really blossomed with this outlet too. I have seen her grow more confident in her spelling, writing, and typing skills. Her blog is developing its own little personality, and that is pretty cool!

My husband and I retain complete control over her blog. We are not just throwing her out into cyberspace without a safety net. She is not allowed to publish without our permission, to visit other blogs without our presence, or to respond to any comments without our guidance. All of her comments are moderated through our email first.

I think her blog will be wonderful throughout the summer, and not just for rainy days either. She can take our WiFi-enabled laptop outside with her and blog about the clouds (she is a cloud watcher of the oldest form), or how nice the weather is, or anything she wants. She can take pictures of bugs she sees and post the pictures on her blog. The possibilities are endless, boredom is kept at bay - that really works for me!

For more WFMW tips, head on over to Rocks in My Dryer.

P.S. If you have a second, and want to make an 8 year old's day, please drop in at her blog and leave a comment. Thanks!

10 comments:

Unknown 11:16 PM  

That's a really great idea! I'm not sure if my 8 year old would be as interested being that he's a BOY and not at ALL interested in writing. My daughter may like the idea in a couple of years, though!

(ps - free book at my blog!)

Unknown 11:23 PM  

I just had to come back and comment on how proud you must be of Isabelle! Her blog is so well written and shows just what a smartie she is! Thanks for sharing it. :)

Overwhelmed! 12:31 AM  

What a sweet idea. I'll go check out her blog and leave a comment! :)

Anonymous,  2:05 AM  

On my way to her blog now ...

never thought of this idea by the way ... I'm sure it helps her in many ways ... giving her a source of self expression and allowing her to practice all sorts of skills.

Kirstin 10:10 AM  

I allowed our oldest (12) to have a blog. I made it so that only invited people could view it, however that frustrates her because no one comments and she doesn't know if anyone reads it. I try to tell her it's for her protection, I just don't want anyone reading it or commenting. I too, monitor it (though I completely trust her). Any thoughts on how to find others for her to interact with that would be safe?

Anonymous,  1:18 PM  

Although my daughters are too young, I love this idea. What a wonderful thing for your daughter to have to look back at years from now.

Laura 3:21 PM  

It's so great that you are doing this for her!! I've thought about setting one up for Asa...I really should. What a great way to learn!

Nicole 3:52 PM  

Great idea for relieving boredom and fostering creativity.

Kirstin 7:39 PM  

Your daughter has done a great job on her blog. Wow, I can't believe she's 8. I am going to send my daughters her way, they are 12 and 9 and we homeschool too. It might be fun for them. My oldest has a blog though she doesn't get on it much. I need to have her do that more.

Jodi 12:24 PM  

what a great idea - & looks like you guys have set up some great parameters! My little guy is just 20 mos, so we're a ways away, but love the idea!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP