Sunday, May 11, 2008

Menu Plan Monday - Week #2 of 3 Moms and 10 pounds of chicken

I am so excited to be beginning the second full week of 3 Moms, 3 Kitchens, 31 Days with my friends Joy and Toni. The three of us have really enjoyed sharing our kitchen adventures so far, and we are looking forward to the rest of the month.

With my once a month shopping trip completed, as well as two other quick trips, I have spent $263.58 so far this month. That leaves $36.42 in my $300 monthly grocery budget. I am definitely on track to come in at or below that amount.

Part of my plans in the kitchen this week include cooking a 10 lb. bag of frozen chicken quarters. I am planning on dividing it up into two stock pots and making some nice rich stock to have on hand in the freezer. Then I will shred the chicken. I hope to get at least 8 meals out of this. I also hope to put 4 or 5 meals from that chicken in the freezer, and then just freezing the rest of the meat in baggies.

Here is the rest of my menu plan for the week:

Breakfast
M - Chocolate chip muffins
T - Pancakes and bananas
W - Oatmeal and toast
Th - Scrambled eggs and homemade English muffins
F - French toast
S - Cinnamon rolls
Su - Leftover cinnamon rolls or English muffins

Lunch
M - Egg salad sandwiches, peaches
T - Homemade hummus and pita bread, oranges and pineapple
W - Ham and cheese sandwiches, yogurt, carrots
Th - Tuna pasta salad, applesauce
F - Leftover chicken & black bean taco filling in cheese quesadillas
S - Mac & cheese, pears
Su - Soup from freezer

Dinner
M- Ham and potato casserole, peas
T - Chicken and black bean tacos w/ homemade tortillas (Cooking chicken day!)
W - Cheesy pasta bake w/ veggie-tomato sauce, tomato basil bread
Th - BBQ meatballs, homemade french fries, corn
F - Chicken curry crepes, stir-fry veggies
S - Lentil and brown rice chili, corn muffins
Su - Cheeseburger macaroni, peas, batter rolls

For more Menu Plan Monday, visit Laura's blog at I'm An Organizing Junkie.

And be sure to stop by Toni and Joy's blogs to read about their kitchen adventures during 3 Moms, 3 Kitchens, 31 Days.

7 comments:

Anonymous,  9:44 AM  

This is such a coincidence! I just posted my Menu Monday post where I told my readers about the book "Frozen Assets" and how I plan to start doing bulk cooking because the cost of groceries for five people has become outrageous. I also own the books Once A Month Cooking and 30 Day Gourmet, so I have plenty of recipes to work with! I'm looking forward to reading the posts from the three of you!

Laura 10:16 AM  

Kate - everything looks so good...and I love how you work so hard to plan ahead and cook ahead and put food in the freezer! You do such a great job!

Mandi 10:48 AM  

Your menu made me hungry. Everything sounds so good! Have a great week!

Jennifer 2:28 PM  

OK, I have quickly begun to love your blog. We too eat chocolate chip muffins at least once a week. It is a favorite around here and we had some this morning actually. I like how you once a month cook. I like how you divide it up among a few days, based on the main ingredient, or the meat in it. I don't do that exactly, but when I get a lot of one type of meat I will spend a couple of hours making various things out of it. Thanks for sharing!

Nancy 3:13 PM  

What a coincidence -- we're having hummus and pitas for dinner this evening. Have a great week.

Nicole 4:43 PM  

your menu sounds delicious. can you point me to your chicken curry crepes recipe? It sounds so good and I bet it would be just as good with steak since Monkette can not have chicken.

Michele @ Frugal Granola 6:00 PM  

I second that request for Chicken Curry Crepes! :)
Also, do you have the recipe for Lentil & Brown Rice Chili posted? That sounds good too! :) Thanks!
Blessings,
Michele :)
www.frugalgranola.blogspot.com

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP