Saturday, May 31, 2008

3 Moms, 3 Kitchens, 31 Days...The Adventure Concludes?

The end of May has arrived, and with it, the end of 3 Moms, 3 Kitchens, 31 Days. (Or is it? Stay tuned to find out!) This month has been a wonderful adventure for Joy, Toni, and myself. Personally, I have learned and examined many things about my shopping, menu planning, and cooking methods. There are a few small areas where I see the need for change, but overall, I am happy with how our system works. As our children get older, I know we will need to adjust at least our budget.



We had to pick up a few things at the store today for our last trip of the month. We purchased:


  • a gallon of milk - $2.50

  • a bag of frozen ravioli - $2.50

  • jar of pasta sauce - $1.00

  • TOTAL: $6.00

That brings our total for the month to $303.03. I am thrilled with this total, even though we did go a bit over our budget, and it does not include the two times we ate out. Overall, I think it was a great month full of healthy, delicious meals. That is always the most important thing, but staying close to budget is a nice perk as well. If I had not opted for a convenience dinner tonight and instead made beans and rice, we would have stayed under. Oh well, lesson learned! (And thank you to my anonymous commentor for pointing out my miscalculation. I did miss adding in the $6 from tonight's trip in my original post. Sorry!)


Since today is the last day of the month, our ration of exciting-to-talk-about food has been depleted, so I will not bore with too many details. Breakfast was toast and peaches, lunch was free pizza at our local YMCA (they were having their annual birthday party), and dinner was ravioli with marinara sauce, spinach, and my last package of meatballs from the freezer.


I have not fully completed my shopping list for June yet because I am in the process of converting my menu plan into one that is more suitable for summer. I will update my menu plan in my sidebar to include any changes once I am done.



I think I realized this month that although I do have a lot of meals in the freezer, it would be nice to have even more. I am going to work on that and see where I can make some adjustments, if possible. I would like to have at least 12 days worth of meals in the freezer. I'd also like to find some other lunch options that I could have in the freezer. Lunchtime is always my biggest struggle of the day, so I think this could have the potential of really changing my days around. That's an exciting possibility for me!



Thank you so much to everyone who followed us throughout this month. I hope you enjoyed reading along as much as we enjoyed opening our kitchens. Also, don't forget to stop by Toni and Joy's blogs to see how their last days of 3 Moms, 3 Kitchens, 31 Days ended up.



To be continued...

3 comments:

Nancy 8:57 AM  

I enjoyed "following" you this month. I look forward to keeping up with you, Joy & Toni at the new site. Thanks for opening your home.

Anonymous,  10:31 AM  

Monthly Budget: $300.00
Spent so far: $245.57 (5/2)
$2.50 (5/7) $15.51 (5/10)
$18.25 (5/18) $9.11(5/26

a gallon of milk - $2.50

a bag of frozen ravioli - $2.50

jar of pasta sauce - $1.00

TOTAL: $6.00
He spent $6.09 at the store, and we'll need to use another $2.50 either tomorrow or Saturday for some more milk. (I am shocked that Kroger has their gallon milk on sale for $2.50 again, but I'm definitely not going to complain.)


Actual Total: $303.03

April was in CA now MA 12:50 PM  

I have enjoyed this series so much with you three! Thank you for taking the time to blog about it and letting us into your home.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP