Monday, May 12, 2008

3 Moms, 3 Kitchens, 31 Days - Day 12


For breakfast this morning, we really enjoyed having the chocolate chip muffins that I baked yesterday. They are just so good. Isabelle was amazed at how often we have chocolate for breakfast. She even said, "I bet other kids don't get to have chocolate for breakfast this often. I mean, we have chocolate chip muffins, chocolate chip pancakes, breakfast cookies with chocolate chips, and chocolate chip coffee cake." It makes me think maybe we DO have chocolate too often in our breakfast food. That might not be what she was going for when she said that though. So to her I say, "thanks for pointing that out to me kiddo. I'll do whatever I can to remedy that situation!"

Our lunch today was hard-boiled eggs, cheese slices, toast and applesauce. I was planning on making egg salad, but when the time came I just decided to go the easy route. I did make a peanut butter sandwich for Eric to take with because he had to leave the house right before lunch today. So he had the sandwich, 2 eggs, pretzels, and 3 muffins. I was happy to see that everyone, especially Gracie, was pleased with this lunch. I'll definitely do it again because it was quick and frugal.

As we were eating lunch, I was trying to piece together how much the whole meal cost. I think $3 is a fair estimation. That is for all 6 of us too. I'd really love to start breaking down each of my meals to cost so that I can add that to my master menu plan. I think that would really help me as I plan out the month. And it would be a wonderful school project for Isabelle and me to work on together. And what better time to do it then during 3 Moms, 3 Kitchens, 31 Days!

For dinner tonight we had cheesy potato and ham casserole with peas. I used up the last of my Easter ham from the freezer, although I do still have 1 big container of split pea and ham soup that I made with the ham bone. Cheesy potatoes are a staple at our house. They are not necessarily healthy, but they sure are good. I use the same sauce when I make homemade macaroni and cheese also.
Step 1: Melt 4 T. butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in 1/4 c. flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Step 2: Whisk in 2 c. milk. Bring to a boil and let cook until thickened. Add any seasonings/spices you like. I always add some salt, pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper, and dry mustard.

Step 3: Add 2 c. shredded or cubed cheddar cheese (we use extra-sharp). Remove from heat and stir until cheese is melted. Add 1/2 c. sour cream.
Step 4: Toss with potatoes or noodles and bake. If you are using raw potatoes, you will need to bake for at least 1 1/2 hours, covered in foil, depending on the sizes you cut the potato into. I added ham to ours, and I also boiled the potatoes for 10 minutes first to lessen the baking time.

I mentioned on Friday that I would be posting my crepe recipe, so here it finally is:

6 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk (or 2/3 c. powdered milk and 1 1/3 c. water)
1 1/2 c. flour
4 T. butter, melted
1/4 c. sugar
2 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. maple extract
1/4 t. salt

Combine all ingredients and whisk until smooth, or mix in a blender. Melt 1 t. butter in a skillet. Pour 1/4 c. batter into the center of the skillet, and lift and tilt skillet to spread over entire bottom. Cook until lightly browned (the top will start to look dry, especially around the edges). Flip and cook another 45-60 seconds, or until browned.

Also, I have had a few requests for my curry chicken crepe recipe. I will post that the night I make it because I do not have a recipe yet. I'm just going to make it up as I go along. So, I guess I should say, IF IT IS EDIBLE, I will post the recipe after I make it!

Stop by Toni and Joy's blogs to see what adventures they have been up to in their kitchens' today! Also, don't forget to join us Friday, May 16th, for episode 2 of 3 Moms, 3 Kitchens, 31 Days Live at Talkshoe. If you'd like an e-mail invite sent to you, please leave your email address in a comment on one of our blogs.

2 comments:

Tiffany 2:40 AM  

THANKS for all your great info on your blog! I am loving your 3 moms, 3 kitchens, 31 days event! A few days ago you posted about making chocolate chip bars... and with whole wheat flour mostly! that's amazing! have you posted that recipe anywhere? I would love a copy, or a link to whereever it is on the web! I'm been trying to increase our whole wheat flour use, but cookies haven't been too successful. THANKS!
~Tiffany

Teresa 9:29 AM  

Ok, that just looks good! I really have been enjoying this series that y'all have been doing. Thanks for doing it.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP