Friday, May 09, 2008

3 Moms ~ 3 Kitchens ~ 31 Days, Day 9

This morning I made crepes for breakfast. I have always loved crepes, filled or unfilled even. I can remember my mom making them on special occasions. I also remember they were rare because they were just so difficult to make. My mom had a specialty crepe pan that she used and it was always so exciting to watch her pull that pan out and to help whisk up the crepe batter. As a result though, I always feared trying to make crepes. First of all, I did not have that pan! And secondly, crepes were difficult to make. That was the impression I had at least.

Then one day, I decided I NEEDED to try making crepes because we do not have any restaurants around us that have a nice-sized breakfast menu and I hadn't had crepes in years. I found plenty of recipes that did not call for a special pan, so I began to feel a little better about this venture. Then I realized that all the recipes were very similar, and none of them sounded as difficult as I had imagined. So I figured, "why not? I make pancakes all the time." And what was the worst that could happen anyhow? I'd ruin the whole thing and be out some eggs, flour, and milk.

Let me tell you, crepes are EASY to make. I actually think I prefer making crepes to making pancakes because you have more control while they cook.

In the skillet is a crepe that is about to be flipped, and on the plate are crepes fresh out of the skillet. During the week I tend to just serve them plain with a little syrup. On the weekends I like to dress them up a bit with bananas foster topping or strawberries, sour cream and brown sugar. They are always delicious! (Recipe to follow tomorrow.)

For lunch today we had tuna salad sandwiches, crackers, and yogurt. As I am not a big fan of tuna salad, it always amazes me to see the kids devour their sandwiches. For a snack, the kids had graham crackers and strawberry jelly. This was a first as a snack and it was Alex's idea. I think it was a huge hit though, and we'll probably be having it again soon.

Dinner tonight was an easy one for me. I pulled out a bag of veggie tomato sauce, and a 1/2 lb. bag of cooked ground beef, from the freezer. I defrosted them, dumped them in a pot, added an extra can of tomato sauce and some seasonings, boiled some spaghetti noodles, and dinner was done. Meals that come together like that always seem to prove to me why I love freezer cooking so much. Sometimes it nice to have those reminders while I'm still stocking the freezer for the month to give me a little added motivation.

Please don't forget to check out Joy and Toni's blogs to see what was on their table today. And don't forget to come chat live with us as we discuss 3 Moms, 3 Kitchens, 31 Days on air at Talkshoe tonight at 10 pm. Click here to join the discussion.

3 comments:

Nancy 9:46 AM  

My grandmother used to serve crepes to me. She filled them with sliced strawberries and cottage cheese. Mmmm. And come to think of it, I haven't had one since. Probably at least 20 years ago. I'll have to try your recipe. Oh, and nice job last night. I enjoyed listening to you gals. I see you've got Episode 2 scheduled!

The Proverbs Wife 10:24 AM  

Thank you for your words of encouragement on my post "How to Submit to your Husbands Financial Leadership".

God has definitely shown Himeself to be faithful in granting me the peace that I desired once I began trust in His word by surrendering to my husband leadership.

I really like what you are doing with the 3 Moms-3 kitchens-31 days.

I remember when my four children were as young as yours. They are older now and enjoy helping me cook double an triple meals for the freezer. They reallycan see where it pays off in the long run.

We spend far less time slaving over the stove because we started this habit early on.

Keep up the good work.

Nicole 4:45 PM  

we love crepes. I like to have them with apples and a little cool whip on top. Man now I am drooling.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP